England's Doves soar high on forthcoming album

Considering that Manchester-based indie phenoms, Doves, literally formed from the ashes of a burnt down recording studio, it comes as a fitting coincidence that the centerpiece of their latest album, "Some Cities," is an exhilarating, intoxicating anthem titled "Walk in Fire." The band -- twin brothers Andy (drums) and Jez Williams (guitar) and frontman Jimi Goodwin (bass and vocals) -- formed in 1998 after a studio fire put an end to the trio's previous project, a dance ensemble called Sub Sub.

Seven years and three full-length albums later, Doves has emerged as the next icon of British pop rock with their unique blend of catchy melodies, tight guitar riffs, and honest lyrics.

Doves has not exactly been prolific in recent years, following up their 2000 debut album, "Lost Souls," with a 2002 sophomore effort, "The Last Broadcast." Their three year hiatus, however, was undeniably productive judging from the quality of "Some Cities." During the recording phases of their newest album, Doves embarked upon a musical tour, ditching the lively streets of Manchester for more intimate locations across northern England, Wales, and the Scottish Highlands. "Some Cities" is in ways a real coming-of-age album that is held neatly together by themes of exploration -- a theme that is developed on three levels: literal geographic exploration, musical exploration, and self exploration.

There is an acute sense of geographical movement as the tracks progress chronologically. While the opening title track is a boisterous romp through the urban tedium of England ("Buildings there they stretch so tall / It's steel and brick no more"), the energetic second track, "Black and White Town," laments suburban ennui ("In satellite towns / there's no color and no sound") before inviting listeners to join them on an escape from it all ("Here comes some action / First time in my life / You should follow me down").

From there, the album takes a leisurely turn into the rural haunts of Snowdonian hills and Scottish moors. Doves recorded their ethereal fourth track, "Snowden," on location in Wales while several other tracks were laid down in a studio literally in the shadow of Ben Nevis, the UK's highest peak. A sleepy piano ballad strolls through the "Shadows of Salford" before the band's concluding number, "Ambition," is left echoing in the halls of an abandoned Benedictine monastery in the Scottish Highlands.

The progression from urban to suburban to rural sites is also reflected musically through variations on instrumentation that allow Doves to paint a whole spectrum of colors with its modest, three-member set.

The more lively tracks are driven forward by Andy Williams' bass-drum-heavy beats and Jez Williams' straightforward power chords while Goodwin's airy vocals take center stage on "Someday Soon" and "Ambition." The band also employs a piano that lends "Black and White Town" an upbeat, syncopated pulse while giving "Shadows of Salford" the dreamlike feel of a ballad.

"The Storm" boasts a moody string quartet and a searing harmonica solo that create a perfectly hip variation on a blues beat. Doves demonstrates a certain maturity that comes with experience. They perform as a single entity: every crescendo and tempo change is precisely synchronized, giving their music a clean, powerful effect. The band's strength lies largely in their acute sense of musical balance -- at no point does one instrument overpower the others; instead, they compliment each other synergistically.

Ultimately, the common thread that strings together the tracks on "Some Cities" is an overwhelming sense of discovery, a sort of epiphany gained through experience. Doves urges listeners to embrace new beginnings in "The Storm," singing, "To weather it all / To come out on the other side / With the moon all high / I'll see you on the other side / So come out the other side." At the heart of the album is the wildly uplifting "Walk in Fire," a song about taking risks and ignoring inhibitions that proclaims, "You're not free till you / Walk in fire." Doves' lyrics seem to roll spontaneously from Goodwin's stream of conscious, but are undoubtedly chosen with great deliberation. The band manages to say in three to four short stanzas what lesser bands fail to communicate in entire albums. Doves is a band who has done and seen it all, and is able to articulate it clearly and artistically through a musical medium.

Doves has been compared favorably by critics to Coldplay, Interpol, and Radiohead in terms of sound and musical range. Fans of The Sheila Divine will also appreciate their similar bass-drum-driven feel and soaring choruses.

While Doves does not fully invent a distinctive sound of their own, they perfect one that has been experimented with by recent British bands and fit comfortably in the niche that has been established. "Some Cities" is a true gem of an album that showcases the band's talent and maturity and should not be overlooked by any fan of British pop rock.

Doves will be promoting "Some Cities" on their current tour of the UK. The band will also perform several times in the US, including a show at the Bowery Ballroom in New York on March 15. Some Cities is slated to be released on March 1