Carnival arrests drop, MTV shoots footage for 'Dean's List'

WEB UPDATE, Feb. 14, 5:28 p.m.

Despite celebrations spanning from Wednesday through Saturday night for many students, the campus was more controlled during this Winter Carnival than in past years, according to Hanover Police Chief Nicholas Giaccone.

In total, police arrested seven students for unlawful possession of alcohol, one for driving while intoxicated, one for resisting arrest and one for misrepresenting age in order to buy alcohol. These 11 arrests were distinguishably fewer than last Carnival's 18.

"This is a little shy of past Winter Carnival weekends, numbers-wise," Giaccone said.

Two malicious fire alarms were set off, one at Bones Gate fraternity and the other at an unidentified location. Law enforcement officials investigated both incidents.

Police also took eight individuals above the age of 21 into protective custody for intoxication, and they are investigating one assault case that occurred in a fraternity, according to Giaccone.

A first for Dartmouth Winter Carnivals this year was the presence of mtvU, MTV's college-based television channel, which had previously expressed interest in coming to Hanover to film the Carnival.

An mtvU crew, including mtvU video jockey Gardner Loulan, was in attendance at a few special events this weekend including the Occom Pond Party Saturday afternoon. They were shooting an episode of the mtvU show "Dean's List," which they hope to air in the next few weeks, according the mtvU spokesman David French.

French said that mtvU's presence was "all aimed at showcasing Dartmouth, the students at Dartmouth and, of course, your Winter Carnival."

Amy Evans '04 witnessed Loulan shooting a segment in front of the snow sculpture. He interviewed her in front of the camera, asking her questions about the sculpture and other Winter Carnival traditions, according to Evans.

Eric Ramsey, assistant director for student activities, sent a BlitzMail message Thursday to Carnival event planners informing them that mtvU wanted "to film a top-10 Countdown at the events during Winter Carnival."

Ramsey went on to warn event planners that they should not feel compelled to allow mtvU to film whatever they want, especially if they had wanted to film incriminating situations.

"In private residences, there is no obligation to allow access," Ramsey wrote. "As the event planner, the College respects your ability to understand the ramifications to your event."

MtvU, however, reportedly did not attempt to enter any fraternity or sorority physical plant.

This year's Winter Carnival, by most accounts, lived up to its promise as an amusing, enjoyable weekend. For a select group of students, however, the festivities were impeded by looming academic commitments.

Organic chemistry students looked forward to a midterm Monday evening at 7 p.m. and macroeconomics students have one Tuesday morning.

One organic chemistry student, Lauren Hassouni '07, said she spent all day Sunday and a few hours Saturday studying for her exam. She could not attend any of the daytime events, and was unable to join the partying Saturday night due to the upcoming test.

"I had to wake up early Sunday morning, so I stayed in Saturday night," Hassouni said.

Overall, Winter Carnival 2005, called "routine" by Giaccone, finished without any major hiccups.

Police activity was "almost the same as a regular weekend," he said.