Adventurous prof known for compassion

Friends and loved ones will commemorate the life of Dartmouth Medical School professor Dr. Dudley J. Weider '60 on Saturday. An active alpine, telemark and nordic skier, Weider, 67, died suddenly Feb. 18 while skiing in the Dartmouth Grant in northern New Hampshire.

Affectionately known as "Dud," Weider received his medical degree from Tufts University in 1964 and completed his residency as an ear, nose and throat specialist in Cleveland. He joined the Dartmouth Medical School staff as a professor of surgery in 1989.

Both the Hanover and medical communities have lost a cherished figure with the passing of Weider, said friend Jim Adler '60.

"I foresee a serious problem at the funeral," he said. "If one quarter of the people who knew and loved him come to the funeral, there will be about four times as many people as can fit in the church. He was very nearly without peer."

While at Dartmouth, Weider was a member of Delta Upsilon fraternity. He married his wife Joan in 1963.

Patients described Weider as a compassionate and dedicated physician, citing his affinity for wearing bear-claw slippers into surgery to ease the fears of young children.

"He was very highly thought of," neighbor Bill Quinn said. "Anyone who seems to have had any dealings with him talks about the quality of his work and his manner with children -- that was one of his fortes."

A prominent figure in his field, Weider was a member of myriad professional societies, holding several regional and national positions in addition to lecturing globally and publishing many papers.

Weider also enjoyed an active lifestyle outside of the classroom, running both the Boston Marathon and the first marathon held in Antarctica, as well as bungee jumping in New Zealand at the age of 60. He also participated in the Iditaski, a 200-mile nordic skiing race in Anchorage, Alaska.

In preparation for his mountaineering expeditions, Weider would mow the lawn with rocks strapped to his back, Quinn said. During his 1996 climbing of Mount Denali, Weider rendered his medical services at the 14,200-foot National Park Service base camp. His efforts earned him an honorable mention for the Mount Denali Pro Mountaineer of the Year award for outdoor ethics.

Weider also contributed his time to the community, serving both as the president of the Hanover Lions Club and as a member of the United Church of Christ at Dartmouth.

Funeral services will be held Saturday at the United Church of Christ. Weider is survived by his wife Joan, his son, two daughters and numerous grandchildren.