Fear Lies Within

Three years ago during my freshman year at Dartmouth I wrote an op-ed for this very publication called "The End of White Male Superiority." The piece argued for the continued necessity of affirmative action in American society.

As indicated by the title, the article was accusatory, targeting one group of individuals -- white males -- as being responsible for social ills related to race.

Not only did the editorial reveal the closed mindedness and arrogance of the author, but it also illuminated her personal biases and misunderstandings.

Reinforced by family, friends and society, these biases were so ingrained in me that they seemed more like unquestionable truths.

We all harbor such "truths."

After attending a three-day workshop last winter called Deep Community, I began to dismantle some of the biases that had been imbedded in me since childhood.

The workshop explores the personal, institutional and social dynamics of identity construction and community, examining some of the many social identities that human beings acquire and how such identities are often used divisively.

In addition to exploring identity, Deep Community offers several community-building tools for diverse environments such as college campuses.

Dartmouth offers a lot of diversity programming that intends to promote inclusiveness by developing a community of students attuned to and accepting of difference.

Deep Community differs from this kind of appraoch by encouraging one to examine carefully their personal social identities. How we see ourselves greatly influences how we relate to others and how we perceive issues linked to identity.

Racial classification was the primary way in which I saw the world -- everything was black and white. I identified myself first as African-American and then as female, two traditionally oppressed groups.

Thus, I saw myself as a victim in a world that was out to get me. Coming from a poor African-American neighborhood had taught me to hate and fear the elusive yet ever present "man." Not only did this perception interfere with my ability to form balanced opinions on racial issues, but it also affected my ability to relate to those I considered to be oppressing me, mainly white males.

When interacting with a white male I didn't see a person, I saw a stereotype. I saw what my family and society had taught me to see. If you can't see a person outside your own social conditioning, then you are less inclined to communicate with or even listen to their point of view.

It was this lack of seeing that breeds fear of the "other."

The workship experience allowed me to confront my perceptions about race by providing a safe, honest, and open environment free of judgment. The discussions and activities encouraged much self-reflection that led to me to becoming a more accepting and open-minded person.

The program does not focus explicitly on race; rather, it focuses on several identities by which people are classified. While it is considered by many to be diversity training, Deep Community is no such thing.

Unlike conventional diversity programs, it does not simply offer a set of definitions and principles to be learned and followed. Rather, it encourages one to consider one's place in a world of complex social identities.

Deep Community is most successful at encouraging people to step outside of their comfort zones. It is here that the most personal growth takes place. Challenging your current beliefs and perceptions forces you to grow and develop a more balanced view of the world.

Rather than looking at diversity programming as unnecessary or useless, consider it an opportunity for self-reflection and personal growth.

Such programs are opportunities for one to understand others by understanding one's self.