Campus reacts to dean's letter with split opinion

Despite a whirlwind of controversy surrounding disparaging comments Dean of Admissions Karl Furstenberg made about the value of varsity football programs in a private letter four years ago, students have remained conspicuously quiet about their views.

Students concerned with Furstenberg's letter question if the dean did anything wrong, and if so, whether he should be reprimanded. Many students feel that Furstenberg did not overstep his bounds in communicating a private, personal opinion. They also said there was no evidence to suggest the dean had not done his job.

"His personal opinions are his right," Broughton Hansen '06 said. "Even though he may have hurt some coaches' feelings who he's worked so closely with."

However, some football players in particular were much more incensed by the controversy. Several suggest that Furstenberg's comments are proof enough that he has not adequately supported the football team in his capacity as dean of admissions.

"We've struggled for the last four years. It's tough to look back and see that a key member of the administration wasn't in our corner," football team captain Chris Little '05 said.

Others argue that given Furstenberg's now-public opinions, he may not be a proper fit for dean of admissions. Football player Chris Dodds '05, for example, contended that Furstenberg should not have taken a job at an institution with a philosophy on football different from his own.

"I believe someone in his position should not have those beliefs, and they should find someone who doesn't have those beliefs," Dodds said.

Dodds also said that it was inappropriate for Furstenberg to write such a letter on College stationery.

"The fact that he did that on a Dartmouth letterhead makes it look like the opinion of Dartmouth athletics," he said.

Those who share Little's opinion believe College President James Wright's statement scolding Furstenberg is not a satisfactory consequence of the dean's actions.

"A slap on the wrist verbally doesn't really do anything," Dodds said.

Although he did not go so far as to propose Furstenberg be fired, Dodds suggested "a suspension without pay" as an appropriate punishment.

Regardless of how they feel about whether Furstenberg has done anything wrong, students still question the validity of his comments. On this issue, opinions on campus are wide-ranging. Most students questioned by The Dartmouth said it is unclear how far the College should lower its academic standards for the betterment of the football team.

"I'm torn because I'd like to have better than a 1-9 record, but I also think everyone should be held to the same standards," Hansen said.

Many proposed the Office of Admissions should value football in the same way it values all other non-academic extracurricular activities such as theater and music.

"Football is just as valuable as anything else. Kids are good at all different things here, and some kids should be good at football," said Brian DeGrazia '08.

Although enthusiastic support for the football team is not widespread across campus, a minority of students said they wish the College would try harder to field a competitive team.

"Football is important to a college regardless of whether it is an Ivy League [school] or not. It should be a source of pride," David Rothenberg '08 said.