Bush sworn in for second term

WASHINGTON -- George W. Bush swore the presidential oath Thursday for a second time, becoming the 16th president in American history to win a second term after a full first four years. In his inaugural address, Bush stressed his vision for U.S. foreign policy, suggesting that the nation would continue to spread freedom "to the darkest corners of the world."

Bush's 17-minute address made only brief reference to the president's domestic agenda.

Instead, it focused on the suggestion that freedom and liberty were the oldest ideals of America, and that spreading those ideals was "the urgent requirement of our nation's security and the calling of our time."

Delivering the presidential oath of office was frail-looking Supreme Court Chief Justice William Rehnquist, who has been undergoing treatment for thyroid cancer since last October. Rehnquist, 80, walked slowly and stiffly with a cane in his right hand and administered the oath in a raspy but clear voice. The chief justice continues to work from home while undergoing chemotherapy and radiation treatment for his illness. Rehnquist's deteriorating appearance increased speculation on when and how the chief justice will step down from the nation's highest court.

Some 500,000 spectators gathered under a cold, hazy sky on the West Capitol lawn.

The president used the occasion to respond to critics of his aggressive foreign policy and controversial invasion of Iraq.

"We are led, by events and common sense, to one conclusion: The survival of liberty in our land increasingly depends on the success of liberty in other lands," Bush said. "The best hope for peace in our world is the expansion of freedom in all the world."

The president also directly challenged political colleagues and Americans who suggest that dangerous conditions in Iraq should be met by withdrawal.

"Our country has accepted obligations that are difficult to fulfill and would be dishonorable to abandon," Bush said.

Still, Bush's reluctance to reevaluate the war in Iraq and his continued commitment to an aggressive foreign policy caused many to come to Washington to oppose the president's second swearing-in.

A number of "counter-inaugural" protests were held near the Capitol, the most notable of which attempted to disorient the president early in his inaugural address. Bush, however, was able to ignore the group's shouting before Capitol police squelched the disturbance.

Several Dartmouth students came to Washington to support the President's second inaugural. David Zubricki '07 arrived in Washington Wednesday evening to attend the inaugural ceremonies and was reassured by the president's words yesterday.

"I really liked the speech," Zubricki said. "I thought it was visionary and bold -- something that goes back to the roots of what America is about and that reaffirms our purpose and position in the world."

Other Dartmouth students in Washington remained skeptical of the president and his agenda but praised the occasion.

"The inauguration is an important part of American history that I couldn't pass up, being here in D.C.," Julie Chang '07, who is spending her off term here, said. "Although I'm not a Bush supporter, I thought the inauguration was an experience worth my time and one I won't soon forget."