Barry tapped to lead The D during 2005

Colin Barry '06 will take over as the new president of The Dartmouth beginning in January, the newspaper's current directorate announced at its annual changeover ceremony Saturday evening.

With Barry at the helm, the editors of The Dartmouth will manage a staff of over 125 student and professional employees and over $600,000 in self-amassed assets.

Barry will supervise the business and news sides of the newspaper. He will also serve as the chairman of the Board of Proprietors of The Dartmouth, Inc., the student-run corporation that owns The Dartmouth.

Barry, an economics and philosophy double major from the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, D.C., began work as a reporter for the paper his freshman year and has served as a copy and news editor since. He will head an incoming team that includes executive editors Matthew Kelly '06 and Zachary Goldstein '06, managing editors Megan Spillane '06 and Mark Herman '06 and sports editors Ben Zimmerman '07 and Dana LaMendola '06.

Barry, a member of Phi Delta Alpha fraternity, is currently studying economics at Oxford University's Keble College on an exchange program sponsored by the Rockefeller Center.

Outgoing president Megh Duwadi '05 said he was confident about turning over the reins to the incoming editors.

"The Class of 2006 is made up of a stellar group of people that knows every aspect of the paper, inside and out," Duwadi said. "I have no doubt of their ability to sustain the excellence of the paper."

Kaitlin Bell '05, the outgoing executive editor, also spoke favorably of the new board, highlighting its members' commitment to The Dartmouth, as well as their ambition, energy and journalistic talents.

Barry, meanwhile, said he will focus the paper's resources toward building on the 2005 directorate's success.

"When the final issue of the term hits newsstands on Tuesday morning, the '05 senior staff will leave behind an organization far more professional, more dynamic and more enjoyable than the one they found," Barry said. "It will then fall to the rest of us to continue to strive with the same determination they have shown."

The members of the new executive team were selected in an application process that included a series of essays and questions regarding their involvement, dedication and future plans for The Dartmouth, current managing editor Daniel Weinberg '05 said.

Weinberg also took time to reflect upon his own experience.

"I'm surprised yet incredibly grateful that in retrospect I can honestly say that I enjoyed my time here thoroughly," Weinberg said. "Everybody worked hard not only to put out a great paper but to have fun as well."

Some current members of The Dartmouth senior staff will stay on board. Business Manager Alexandra Amrhein '06 will retain her position following her winter off-term. Matthew Slaine '06 is slated to fill the position in the interim; when Amrhein returns to campus, they will share the post.

Former arts editor Caroline McKenzie '07 will replace The Dartmouth Mirror editor Katie Van Syckle '05.

Lindsay Barnes '06, who edited the arts section and The Dartmouth Mirror in the past, will make the switch to the Op-Ed page, replacing Kevin Carmody '05 and Paul Heintz '06.

The duo of Samantha Ceppos '06 and Kate Berry '06 will replace Layne Moffett '05 as photography editors.

In addition to announcing the new leadership team, the current director used the changeover ceremony as an opportunity to recognize the contribution of reporters.

Kate Lyon '05 received the staff writer of the year award. New members Phil Salinger '08, Kelsey Blodget '08, Jessica Alvarez '06, Kevin Tang '08, Emma Haberman '08, Jennifer Yu '08 and Jonathan Scherr '08 also received awards during the ceremony.

Additionally, reporters Dax Tejera '07, Jessica Chen '07, Linzi Sheldon '07, Alix Cody '07 and Mark Henle '07 were promoted to serve as news editors for the 2005 calendar year.