Wright addresses general faculty

College President James Wright presided over the 2004 annual meeting of the general faculty yesterday, where he addressed a wide variety of issues, including expansion of the Dartmouth faculty, an upcoming report examining concerns about responsible endowment investment and a building spree that will expand the campus.

Wright began his 40-minute speech saying that he believes the College is stronger today than any time in his 35-year career at Dartmouth. He credited the success Dartmouth enjoys to his faculty colleagues and laid out a list of priorities for both rewarding and amplifying the Dartmouth faculty.

"We need to recognize the importance of getting our first-choice candidates," Wright said, adding that recruitment efforts are vital to a strong and growing faculty.

While Wright said there are no plans for expansion of the student body, he admitted that Dartmouth does need a larger faculty. A 10 percent planned growth of the faculty, already underway will be complete within the next few years, he said.

Wright also expressed optimism about outstanding searches for several high-level appointments, including a dean for the Thayer School and directors for the Hood Museum and Hopkins Center. Wright said he hopes that the College will be as successful in filling these positions as it was in finding Jeffrey Horrell, recently appointed Dean of Libraries.

Before speaking about Dartmouth's undergraduate education, Wright addressed the subject of its graduate schools. He congratulated Tuck, Thayer and Dartmouth Medical School administrators and professors for their accolades and continued successes.

"Dartmouth is much the stronger because of the quality of these schools and their participation in the work of the College," Wright said.

Amid discussion on the graduate program, Wright said that College officials have agreed to increase stipends for graduate students to attract stronger applicants. One of the few faculty responses at the end of Wright's remarks praised the president for the move.

Much of Wright's discussion at the meeting centered around the importance of facilities at Dartmouth and the many projects simultaneously underway as the College gets ready to launch the public phase of its latest capital campaign next month.

He referred to the upcoming building campaign as "historically significant" in its scope and implications, and expressed pride in moving forward on "long-deferred needs."

Facilities "advance our aspirations and enable students and faculty to excel," Wright said.

The president also addressed the College budget, announcing that Provost Barry Scherr and Executive Vice President Adam Keller are preparing a report on past and future budget years in an attempt to tackle documented concerns by the faculty on the issue of transparency.

According to Wright, the College received $118.1 million in charitable gifts last year from 35,845 alumni, parents, friends, foundations and corporations. That figure is up nearly a third from last year. Wright also highlighted the endowment's above-average performance of an 18.6 percent return.

In discussing fiscal policy, however, Wright continued to stress the challenges the College faces: expense growth "that is hard to control," a flat equities market, poor exchange rates, rising health care costs, legal compliance issues and insurance rates that have doubled since Sept. 11, 2001. He also mentioned the importance in the post-Sept. 11 world of protecting the security of computer systems, databases and digital records.

Prefacing his discussion on the undergraduate college, Wright repeated his long-held belief that Dartmouth offers the strongest undergraduate experience in the country.

"This is our niche, this is our strength, this is our ambition," Wright said.

While Wright said he believes that "Dartmouth students are substantially satisfied with their academic experience," he suggested that faculty consider departmental reviews to ensure the Dartmouth experience remained strong.

"I believe it would be an opportune time to consider initiating another round of departmental reviews," Wright said.

Before closing his remarks, Wright thanked former Dean of the Faculty Michael Gazzaniga for his two years of service. Gazzaniga resigned last spring following pressures from 22 department chairs in a written resolution questioning his leadership. Wright repeatedly acknowledged Gazzaniga's tenure throughout his report as he spoke on a variety of issues stemming from the Dean of the Faculty office.

"We will continue to enjoy the benefits of his effort," Wright said.

Wright also expressed enthusiasm and support for current Dean Carol Folt as she begins a two-year term in the office.