Ramadan fasting provides students time for reflection

The Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which requires fasting during the day, began Oct. 15 -- right in the middle of Dartmouth midterms.

But many of Dartmouth's Muslim students said balancing religious observance and work hasn't proved too difficult so far, even if they sometimes feel a little weak during the day.

Shamis Mohamud '08 said fasting actually helps her to work.

"It is easy to balance religion along with schoolwork because my religion helps me focus my mind and work towards an academic goal," Mohamud said.

Some less observant Muslim students said they fast in order to feel part of a community, but don't do it if their schoolwork will be compromised.

Canmert Koral '07 said he doesn't feel too badly if he doesn't make it through the whole month of fasting.

It's more of a social thing than a religious necessity," he said. "It feels good to talk to friends or family members miles away and tell them that you too have been fasting."

In Islam, the month of Ramadan is meant for fasting, during which adults should refrain from consuming food and drink, as well as pursuing sexual relations. Fasting during Ramadan is one of the five pillars of Islam, which are obligatory Muslim practices.

The beginning of the holy month changes from year to year, depending on the lunar calendar.

According to Brian Didier, a postdoctoral fellow in the anthropology and religion departments at Dartmouth, fasting is meant to concentrate the senses and passions on the divine.

"[Fasting] is recommended as a vehicle for remembrance and contemplation," Didier said, "but it is a hardship practiced with a bit of joy and passion."

Mohamud said she welcomes the chance to focus on his faith.

"To me, Ramadan means sacrifice and coming closer to God. It is a spiritually uplifting month that I look forward to every year," Mohamud said.

Other students emphasized the empathy for the poor they gain from a month of hardship.

"It helps you understand the situation of the poor, but more than that, brings a community of people together who go through the same suffering," Koral said.

As missing a day of fasting is not too grievous a transgression of the Muslim doctrine, many students have found ways to work around their busy schedules.

There are exceptions to fasting, such as old age, pregnancy, menstrual cycles, illness or travel, Didier said. If certain days of fasting are missed for these reasons, it is acceptable to tack on extra days following the month of Ramadan or provide meals for the needy in recompense.

For students who are fasting resolutely, the end isn't too far off. Ramadan ends Nov 12.

At the close of the month of Ramadan, the fast ends with a feast, called Id al-Fitr, which is a large celebration of visits and gift giving.