Men's golf finishes sixth out of 15 teams at Army Invite

This past weekend, the men's golf team competed at the Army Invitational and had a somewhat disappointing finish at sixth place among 15 schools. Matt Uretsky '07 finished atop the Dartmouth golfers, shooting a 72 in the first round and a 74 in the second round to fire a 146.

All of the Big Green scored relatively close to one another, as Chaki Kobayashi '06 finished with a 147, Jamie Wallace '08 at 151, Kenan Yount '06 at 153, and finally Steve Reyes '07 finishing with a 155.

The Big Green expected a better performance, considering that they do have the talent to finish in the top three in all of the tournaments in which they are competing.

Kobayashi commented, "The tournament was kind of disappointing, but we still have a couple of tournaments left. Our strength this year is that we can play poorly and still finish well. That's just a result of being a solid team. But like I said last week, we need to avoid the big numbers."

The hope is that the Dartmouth men's golf team can pull through and have all five members put up strong numbers. If they can do that, there is no doubt that this team will surely be hard to beat. There are no weak links in the team, and although that has meant that even a sub-par performance lands them in the top half of finishers in tournaments, they look to pull ahead in these remaining contests.

Their next tournament is this weekend at the Yale Invitational. The course is familiar to all of the team, so they are ready for action.

Kobayashi pointed out, "Generally we do well on par-70 courses, and it's a tough course, which favors us because we're nasty."

It should be a tough competition, but if all players play the game that they are capable of, a top place finish is most certainly not out of reach.

Kobayashi confidently claimed, "I have no doubt whatsoever that we will win the tournament at Yale. The other teams won't know what hit them."