Alumni Gym renovations to commence in March '05

With 67 students for every one elliptical machine at Kresge Fitness Center, chances are that students cannot get their cardio workouts in without reservations.

These poor odds will be alleviated, however, by early 2006, if the Alumni Gym Renovation Project stays on schedule.

After years of student demand, the athletics department intends to begin renovations on the 75-year-old Alumni Gym in March 2005.

The proposed renovations will update both the recreational and varsity fitness facilities and will address deferred maintenance and access issues, according to a report put out by the athletics department.

With 7,000 square feet on the second floor of Alumni Gym and 2,000 additional square feet on an upper mezzanine, the new fitness center will more than double the size of Kresge.

The fitness center will feature specialized flooring, air conditioning and "a full complement" of cardio machines, strength equipment and free weights, the report said.

"It will be very much aesthetically pleasing," said associate athletics director Roger Demment.

The varsity strength training facilities will expand to 4,200 square feet from 3,000 square feet, with an additional 3,500 square feet for stretching, speed work and other conditioning. The expansion will displace the current doubles squash court and several singles courts.

In addition, a dehumidification system will be installed in Karl Michael Pool, improving air quality and preventing structural humidity damage. This system will reduce spectator seating but will allow room for a multi-purpose space overlooking the pool.

The remaining portion of the Alumni Gym's second floor and Kresge will be converted to multi-purpose spaces for physical education, fitness classes, club sports practices and recreational programs.

The renovations will also provide improved access to the gym with a new walkway and elevator, and the gym's front lawn will sport new landscaping.

The project's architects were unavailable for comment Wednesday, but Athletic Director JoAnn Harper noted that "the best architects in the business for athletics and fitness" were consulted.

The College is looking for alumni to donate funds for the project, and developers are just waiting for "the green light," Harper said.