Stating the Obvious

Maybe it's my idealism faltering after a summer away from the free-thinking Dartmouth environment, or maybe my cynicism has finally gotten the best of me. Either way, I recently arrived at a point of disgust and extreme intolerance. Call me politically incorrect, call me insensitive, but I truly believe that I will lose my cool if I see another "Live Strong" yellow wristband or even more yellow "Support Our Troops" ribbon magnets 'round an ol' SUV.

I first learned of the Lance Armstrong "craze" when a friend of mine informed me that she had purchased hers on eBay for nearly $40 because her local sporting goods stores had run out of the decorated plastic band, which usually retails for a dollar. With further prying, I came to realize that these wristbands originate from none other than the inspiring human being, Lance Armstrong, as a reminder to live one's life to the fullest. But I've never been one to wear my heart on my sleeve, even if doing so would have charitable benefits.

Don't get me wrong, I fully endorse Armstrong's cancer foundation and the clever marketing efforts that support it. Yet most people do not seem to treat these as reminders to live strong or as a method to fund cancer research. I am disgusted that these silly little bands have become to many no more than the latest "must-have" spring fashion accessory. News flash: they are constructed of yellow plastic, and are neither incredibly fashionable nor unique. If you are really that desperate to make a fashion statement, buy a pair of Seven Jeans -- I find that works well for me.

Remember the last time America was overtaken by a wristband epidemic in the form of "W.W.J.D." bracelets? I was always baffled by their supposed significance. What would Jesus do in the situations you may confront on a daily basis? Frankly, I haven't the slightest idea, and, I certainly don't think wearing a bracelet will help you solve that riddle. Furthermore, I think it's a bit frightening to think one would look to a clothing accessory to help one get through life's most difficult situations.

Moving on to the now impossible-to-ignore "Support our Troops" magnets adorning the vehicles of our country from sea to shining sea: I simply don't understand their necessity. Of course you support our troops. What good American does not support our troops as they fight for our freedoms and for those of the rest of the world? We all, myself included, want to see our troops returned home safely to U.S. soil on a mission well done, but I cannot care less if you support the troops as your gas guzzling Ford Expedition cuts me off on the interstate. Along with the Live Strong bracelets, these trendy trinkets have also become victims to consumerism in our fad-driven society.

If you are still reading this op-ed and not rushing to the nearest blitz terminal to write me an angry email, I want you to know that I fully support the ideals these signs represent. My issue arises with those who have made gratuitous displays of superficial symbols of strength and patriotism so visible in our country. When did clothing and car accessories come to represent the values upon which our nation was founded?

I am further disturbed by the connection that these obvious platitudes have to the trend in politics to appeal to the lowest common denominator. My intolerance also extends to the great politicians of our country telling us what they know we want to hear. Yes, Senator Kerry, we want to live in a country with affordable healthcare and job opportunities. In your year of campaigning, have you encountered anyone who has been opposed to these goals? President Bush, I think it's safe to say that all Americans want to live in a nation where they don't have to fear air travel or the subway. Personally, I plan to tune out the rest of the campaign until either candidate begins explaining how, exactly, they plan to bring these blandly desirable ideals into reality.

Bracelets, magnets, words: when did actions become so unfashionable?

If you want to live well, do it! There is no need to inform the rest of us of your desire; somehow I think they may all already know. If you support our troops, get involved in the political process. Whether you are in favor or opposed to the war in Iraq, get involved with more than magnets to make sure that our troops either come home or have the necessary equipment and material support to fight the war. If you want your politicians to enact significant education, economic and healthcare reforms, hold them accountable once elected rather than simply allowing them to use the same old tired sound bites to ensure their reelection. Let's make our society one of actions, not words; one of time-honored ideals, not fads; one of substance, and not superficiality. Our accessories are in the right place, we just need to make sure our minds, hearts and deeds are as well.