Lady Racketeers blitz competition in Volkl Shootout

The Dartmouth women's tennis team began its 2003-04 season in style this weekend by bulldozing the competition at Hanover's Volkl Shootout. The Big Green won 17 of their 20 singles matches over the course of the home tournament and compiled a sparkling 11-0 record in doubles play.

Dartmouth had little trouble handling the visiting squads from Colgate, Boston University and the University of Connecticut over the course of the three-day event. The ladies set the tone on the first day by sweeping the Colgate Red Raiders in singles, and then pummeling UConn in doubles, again without losing a single contest.

Pacing the excellent doubles effort was the top-ranked duo of Lindsay Winingham '07 and Maggie Suydam '08, who despite never playing a collegiate match together, resembled an experienced team on the court. Both underclassmen players displayed their all-court skill and impressive aptitude at the net in disposing of their adversaries.

Suydam's speed and proficient play belied her relative inexperience, while Winingham, who left campus for Spain for the fall term following the tournament, won countless points with her trademark knifing volleys. The ingenious Indianan's knack for angling off backhand volleys continually frustrated her opponents.

The other doubles teams were equally impressive. Also going 3-0 on the weekend was the similarly youthful tandem of Natalie O'Rourke '08 and Kerry Snow '07, as well as the veteran duo of co-captains Jayme Ahmed '05 and Sarah McNally '05.

Dartmouth's most notable performances came against Boston University, who nearly topped the Big Green in a dual match last spring. In singles action against the Terriers, the lady racketeers emerged victorious in the top seven singles spots in addition to posting a perfect 4-0 record in doubles play.

Leading the way was Ahmed, who throttled Erin Katims 6-2, 6-1 at the No. 1 position. The senior showed the form that earned her a unanimous first team All-Ivy selection last year in methodically dismantling her Terrier adversary with vicious shots matched only in potency by her withering stare.

A pair of freshmen -- Suydam and Margaret Fitchet -- cracked the starting singles lineup at the tournament and immediately made a serious impact, amassing a combined 6-0 record. Against BU, Suydam's athleticism and all-court mastery led her to 6-1, 6-1 triumph at the fifth singles spot. At No. 4, Fitchet used her unfailingly consistent groundstrokes to attain an equally impressive 6-2, 6-0 win.

At No. 6, returning starter Snow picked up a solid straight-sets victory, while teammates Winingham and McNally ground out tough three-set wins at second and third singles, respectively.

McNally continued her flair for the dramatic, as the fantastic Floridian played a seemingly unending string of tight contests last year. This weekend saw more of the same, and as she often did last season, McNally came out with a big win for Dartmouth against BU.

At No. 2, Winingham dropped the first set before climbing back into the match and eventually winning the marathon contest. Playing with the energy of a Duracell rabbit and peppering the match with her trademark fist pumps, Winingham fought with the undying effort of former Indiana Pacers forward Dale Davis and finally pulled out a dramatic win.

The poised and consistent play from the Big Green ladies showcased the positive effect of their strenuous preseason training and the coaching aptitude of head coach Bob Dallis and assistant Jesse Medvene-Collins.

"One of the advantages of our quarter system is that we can have a preseason during which we concentrate solely on our games and fitness level," Ahmed said. "The last two weeks, we have been preparing for this tournament without the added burden of schoolwork. I believe we really took advantage of that time as a team and our hard work paid off in this tournament."

"I thought we were confident that we were going to win, had a lot of energy, and cheered as a team for each other during matches," Snow added.

The Big Green will next compete Oct. 1 at the Brown Invitational in Providence, R.I.