2004 Employment Fair kicks off in Hopkins Ctr.

Hundreds of undergraduate and graduate students will get a chance to see what may be in store for them after Dartmouth at a campus job fair that begins at noon today at the Hopkins Center.

The 100-plus job representatives present will be expecting plenty of questions, but students shouldn't expect to start handing out resumes yet. The job fair is merely an opportunity to network with prospective employers and gather more information, as representatives will not be recruiting or conducting interviews.

Historically, the Career Fair was held in two separate parts that divided the not-for-profit and private sectors.

This year, both sectors will present over the same two days in a move that many students have interpreted as a measure to downplay the significance of corporate recruiting, which has long been a visible presence on campus.

Last year, over 700 students per day descended on both fairs, and Career Services is expecting an even larger number this year.

One or two representatives, many of them Dartmouth alumni, will be present at each booth to discuss their industries, work environments, locations and job options, including the application process and skill sets required.

Employers may also have sign in sheets available for those who wish to receive more information about a particular company.

Many employers said that they will rely heavily on today's fair to recruit entry-level employees for the upcoming year.

"The Dartmouth Employer Fair is one of the most worthwhile events that Teach For America attends each year," Teach For America recruitment director Kat Campbell said. "Thanks in large part to the connections we made with students during the fair, Teach For America hired 10 Dartmouth seniors with seven different majors to join our 2004 corps."

Events begin at noon, with private sector employers filling Alumni Hall and an equal number of not-for-profit employees in the Top of the Hop.

The companies all offer entry-level positions and many also offer internships. A fair directory is available at each location to help students navigate through employers.

"There will be different employers each day so it is important to attend both in order to get the full picture," said Career Services assistant director Monica Wilson. "It isn't a resume collecting event, and students will not be evaluated, but students should expect that this can be an important opportunity to learn which fields interest them and how to improve their candidacy."

The chance to make connections and get a clearer picture of what employers are seeking may be too much for most students to pass up, especially for seniors looking at the InterviewTrak recruiting process.

In fact, many employers present at the fair will be part of the Oct. 4 deadline for recruiting, giving students an extra chance to meet with campus representatives.

"My advice for students is to dress in good school clothes, have a firm handshake and make direct eye contact," Wilson said. "Don't be shy about asking questions or for business cards and make sure to explore both rooms in the fair in order to look at opportunities that you may not have recognized."