Theta Delt nabs dodgeball title

Team Theta Delt was crowned champion of the first ever Grab Life By the Ball charity dodgeball tournament held in Leede Arena on Friday evening.

The Theta Delta Chi fraternity squad defeated a team comprised of members from Gamma Delta Chi fraternity, capping off an event that hosted over 25 six-person teams.

The tournament's rules stuck close to those laid out in Ben Stiller's summer blockbuster "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story," organizers said.

Tournament organizers also indicated that they were pleased with the event that raised over $1,000 for the United Way.

"From what I saw, it was a big success," said Phi Delta Alpha fraternity president Dino Hall '06, who was one of the main organizers of the tournament.

Chi Heorot fraternity member Seb Ruiz '06 attended the event and remarked that he was impressed that the "spectators were really into the tournament."

"It was pretty heated," Ruiz said. "There were big reactions to each hit and each questionable call."

Ruiz indicated that he watched some of Heorot's games but left following the organization's defeat in a decisive third game to eventual runner-up Gamma Delt.

"They had some big guns," Ruiz said. "Once we were down to one guy left, I knew we were done."