Counterpoint: Maddux bests the rest as a model of consistency

For almost 20 years, Greg Maddux has been one of greatest ballplayers, period. Since he is a pitcher, Maddux only plays once every four or five games, so he cannot change his team's fortune on a day-to-day basis, but when his day comes, you know what to expect: a quality start.

Our generation has seen plenty of Hall of Fame caliber pitchers -- Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens and Pedro Martinez to name a few -- but Maddux's consistency is what makes him the best of our time:

Last year, Maddux became the first ballplayer to win 15 games in 16 consective season.

From 1992 to 1998, Maddux had seven consecutive seasons with an ERA below 2.75 -- an amazing accomplishment in the home run era.

Maddux consistently surrenders the fewest walks among Major League starters. Players do not get free bases when they face off against the Chicago Cubs' aging ace.

Many people write off Maddux because he does not have the flash of fireball pitchers, but other pitchers pale in comparison with the Cubs pitcher.

It took Randy Johnson nearly seven seasons to become an ace. Maddux dominated by season three.

Houston Astro pitcher Rogers Clemens has more Cy Youngs (six) to Maddux's (four), and the same number of World Series victories (both have just one), but Clemens' career consistency has been overembellished. Remember, Clemens won the 2002 Cy Young Award with a 3.51 ERA. In the past six seasons, Clemens has had two with a ERA over four. On the other hand, Maddux has not had an ERA over four since his first season as a full time starter.

After struggling early this season, Maddux fought an uphill battle to where he stands now -- a 10-7 record with a 3.91 ERA. As the Cubs gear up for the playoffs, you can take for granted the fact that Maddux will lead the way with solid efforts. He's been doing it for almost 20 years.