Verbum Ultimum

DAVIES FOR PRESIDENT

In a shift from last year's lackluster elections process, the 2004 Student Assembly presidential race witnessed an all-too rare occurrence at Dartmouth: a horse race. Four qualified and compelling juniors currently vie for the top position in campus government. Jim Baehr has run a campaign of nostalgia that highlights his obvious passion for Dartmouth and his devotion to strengthening the "old traditions" that make the College special. Julia Hildreth has spent several years working in the Student Assembly, including as vice president, and of all the candidates has most experience in this body. Dave Wolkoff has an admirably dogged concern for the future of the Greek system and sports teams at our school, which suggest to us that no matter who is elected, the Assembly should consider him for a position in which his dedication and commitment can be put to good use. And Mike Valmonte -- well, he has provided a breath of fresh air.

Of course, only one candidate can win, and that is why we choose to endorse Ralph Davies for Student Body President. His slate of ideas -- an assortment of initiatives that includes developing stronger alumni-student connections, securing funding for club sports and others -- is an attractive one, and he has proven himself capable of getting along with the wide range of students and organizations with which the Assembly president must interact. He has devoted several years to serving the Assembly, and has had numerous accomplishments. Even the small ones, it appears, bring out the best in what the Dartmouth community has to offer, like the 2003 Webster Avenue block party, enjoyed by hundreds of students on a warm July afternoon. At the same time, he has admitted that he has failed to accomplish all that he has set out to, and intends to use the position of President to energize the assembly. Davies' commitment to broadening alumni involvement in the school, and forging an alliance between current and past Dartmouth students, will mark an important step in insuring that the sons and daughters of Dartmouth can most effectively oversee the College's future course.

RABKIN GOLDEN FOR

VICE PRESIDENT

For those seeking glamour, the vice presidency of Student Assembly is the wrong place to turn. It is a largely behind-the-scenes job, but when done right, the second-in-command can effect genuine progress and keep up a sense of professionalism in the governing body -- a professionalism that even Assembly insiders say has disappeared under the current watch.

Of equal importance is institutional memory. Knowing the ropes, from setting up a meeting with College officials to ensuring that projects are staffed and well-managed, is a requisite. That is why The Dartmouth's editorial board is endorsing Todd Rabkin Golden for Assembly vice president.

As a sophomore, Rabkin Golden boasts incredible Assembly experience. He has served, and served well, and while his initiatives are oftentimes more practical than flashy, they get accomplished -- no questions asked.

This is not to say that Rabkin Golden's opponents are without merit. But Dave Zubricki and Karan Danthi do lack a deep connection with the Assembly, and as freshmen, we advise them to stick it out another year in a committee so as to gain the experience and familiarity so crucial to the job they currently seek.

While his campaign allusions to Mr. T may be trite and over-the-top, don't be fooled. Practicality is at the heart of his message, and Saturday's CPR training class proves it. The Assembly should have Todd Rabkin Golden as its vice president, and The Dartmouth wholeheartedly endorses him.