Verbum Ultimum

Compromise, an element often lacking in decisions made in all walks of life, has today created grins of satisfaction both in Parkhurst Hall and along Webster Avenue.

The Dartmouth community receives welcome news that Greek leaders have finalized plans with College officials to move rush back to the fall. While the compromise plan places rush in the third week of Fall term, later than it was three years ago, the Greek system has nevertheless won an important victory. The alternative fall rush proposal, at first supported by College officials, placed rush in the middle of the term. This unwieldy plan posed problems for the Greek community by undermining the ability of houses to educate new members in a truncated education period.

This paper echoed a chorus of students in rejecting the administration's proposal to drastically shorten new-member education. It is to the credit of College officials that they have decided to listen to student ideas and work with Greek leaders.

The Dartmouth is hopeful that this agreement portends a brighter future for student-administration relations. By rectifying an error created three years ago with a reasonable compromise solution, the administration has shown that it can adapt to overwhelming student support. While in past instances, such as the swim team debacle, College officials have shown striking indifference to legitimate student concerns until their public image came into serious jeopardy, the administration has this time proven itself willing to work with students in a straightforward manner.

Students, affiliated or not, should look to Greek leaders for the example they have just set. Instead of floundering, they have skillfully worked with the College to achieve meaningful results. This term, the candidates for Student Body President agreed that the Assembly needed to improve its ability to realize meaningful change at Dartmouth. The recent achievement of Greek leaders in this regard can serve as a positive example of how to reach compromise solutions palatable to both students and the administration.