Police, Safety and Security prepared for weekend

As students gear up for the Green Key festivities, Safety and Security and the Hanover Police are also preparing to take measures they say will ensure student safety throughout the weekend.

College Proctor Harry Kinne said Safety and Security's main concern will be preparing for the influx of people descending upon Hanover during any big party weekend. Though the majority of individuals celebrating will be students, a large number of alumni will also be in town.

Consequently, Safety and Security will increase patrolling on Friday and Saturday nights, and officers will be stationed at most of the planned events over the weekend. However, Safety and Security is not planning on focusing on any main social event, since much of the Green Key entertainment will be a combination of different events.

Kinne said he hopes the increased measures will provide a safe and enjoyable environment this Green Key.

"Overall it's a lot of fun and good activity, but we want to make sure everyone is safe," Kinne said.

Kinne suggested that if students are planning on drinking, they do so in moderation. He also advised students to watch out for one another and call Safety and Security in the event of any hazardous incident.

"Individual safety is very important," Kinne said. "We're here to provide a safer campus."

The Hanover Police also plans to take steps to ensure safety this party weekend.

Hanover Police Chief Nicholas Giaccone said police will use grant money for alcohol enforcement to place extra officers on duty. Throughout the weekend, these officers will enforce underage drinking laws and respond to any incidents that Safety and Security cannot handle.

Although Safety and Security and the Hanover Police are putting extra effort into preparations for this weekend's activities, recent Green Key weekends have not seen an increase in incidents. Furthermore, according to Giaccone, Hanover Police handle more problems during Homecoming than any of the College's other party weekends.

"The last few years, 'off weekends' have sometimes been busier than traditionally big weekends," Giaccone said.

Similarly, Safety and Security has not seen a rise in incidents during Green Key over the past few years. According to Kinne, the number of calls to Safety and Security over Green Key "is on par with other major weekends."

While both departments will maintain an increased presence this weekend, officials said the two organizations will work separately unless Safety and Security faces a situation that warrants the presence of the Hanover police force.