History professor wins prestigious Columbia award

The 50th anniversary of the Brown v. Board of Education decision to end segregation in public schools was coupled with the recognition of a distinguished scholar who forms inquiries on urban minority history and equal opportunity of all races in inner cities.

Craig Wilder, an American history professor at Dartmouth for two years and an expert on urban culture and race relations, earned the annual Medal for Excellence from Columbia University at its commencement ceremony Wednesday morning.

According to Columbia president and former Dartmouth provost Lee Bollinger, the award was presented to Wilder because of his grasp of intricate historical issues, excellence in writing and record as a teacher.

In addition to being praised by colleagues for his sense of humor, Wilder has been described as perceptive in illuminating how contemporary impoverished black ghettos result from public policies rather than natural social developments, Bollinger said at the ceremony.

Growing up in a minority community, Wilder solidified his interest in race and religion relations and sought to create an integrated and equal society, he told The Dartmouth.

"As a teenager, I worked in a church-based organization that sought to integrate African Americans living in the South Bronx into Latino communities," Wilder said. "I worked to build links between communities to fight for better jobs, housing and lifestyle."

In addition to teaching college students historical and modern issues surrounding the black experience in New York City, Wilder directs many exhibits at regional and national museums that focus on race relations and urban history.

"It is a great honor and humbling for me to receive this award on the day Brown was decided, and sit on stage with those involved with the case," Wilder said. "My work in homeless shelters, soup kitchens, mental health facilities and the inner-city has fueled my teaching expertise."