Festival for Humanity to debut on Saturday

Students and community members will have the chance to see 19 campus performing groups and to win an autographed novel by former President Jimmy Carter all in one day, at the first annual Festival for Humanity on Saturday.

Organized by Mats Lemberger '06, the Festival will take place on the Green and the Collis Center Porch from noon to 8 p.m., during which a free Stinson's-catered barbecue will be served.

"The Festival for Humanity is one local community building event, which celebrates the talents of students and brings people together in a collective concern for service," Lemberger said.

A silent auction containing items from student artists, local businesses, athletic teams and "one-of-a-kinds," including the aforementioned copy of Carter's "The Hornet's Nest," is scheduled for noon to 6:30 p.m.

The money from the auction will be donated to Dartmouth Habitat for Humanity.

"Students will be actively involved to raise funds that will have an impact on students," Lemberger said.

He added that if the Festival continues in subsequent years, its organizers hope to have a new service cause to support.

Lemberger began planning the Festival during the first week of Fall term, inspired by his participation in Bike and Build -- a cycle across the country to raise money for affordable housing -- during the previous summer. He came up with the idea while trying to come up with creative fundraising ideas for Dartmouth Habitat for Humanity.

"It blossomed to become an event, which really the whole campus can find a way to take ownership of," Lemberger said. And after speaking with administrators, the Tucker Foundation, Student Activities and Facilities, Operations and Management, Lemberger's idea came into fruition.

Lemberger also credited the guidance of Ozzie Harris, special assistant to the president for Institutional Diversity and Equity, throughout the process.

Sponsors of the Festival include Bigger, Better, Latter; the Bildner Endowment, the Class of 1951; the 2004, 2006 and 2007 Class Councils; Collis Governing Board; the Council on Student Organizations; Programming Board; Student Assembly and the Tucker Foundation.

Collis Common Ground and FUEL serve as rain locations.