DFS brings film culture to Dartmouth's silver screens

We've all been to the Hop to see a movie. This term some people went to "The Magdalene Sisters" while others went to "Big Fish." Luckily, there's something for everyone. But who exactly picks out the movies that are shown? Who decides which hot new movies should get playing time? Who decides which weird French foreign film people might like?

The answer is three little letters: DFS, or, for those on campus who remain ignorant to this intensely powerful institution, the Dartmouth Film Society. The Dartmouth Film Society is technically comprised of anyone who buys a film pass that term, but in reality this group is made up of about 30-40 students, a few faculty members and some elderly community members who show up regularly for meetings.

These people meet every Monday at 6 p.m. in 205 Wilson Hall, to partake of wonderful food and conversation. They discuss newly released films, debate movie controversies and recommend esoteric foreign films, but most interestingly people discuss what movies the film society should show. Every term there is a series. For example, this spring's series is "Secrets and Lies."

A film series may seem to be just for the advertisements and film passes, but there is some serious thought and sweat that goes into their creation. First, each series must have a theme. It must also have six to eight foreign films, one documentary film, and one silent film, not to mention some of those big name movies that will bring the masses to the theater.

Picking a theme and then picking movies for this theme is a delicate and time-consuming process. Sydney Stowe, who is in charge of film at the Hop, sums up what the DFS is searching for: "We want to offer something for everyone, not only to educate but to entertain!" This challenge to educate as well as entertain inspires many active DFS members to come up with well-thought out proposals for a film series.

Proposals usually list a theme, as well as listing numerous classic, popular, silent, foreign and documentary films that fit that theme. Proposals are submitted to the DFS and discussed by the committee. Often this discussion consists mostly of individuals offering suggestions of films that they think fit in with the theme and would be well received by the Dartmouth community.

I got to attend the meeting this past Monday and was impressed with the breadth of knowledge contained in that small room. A cacophony of critics filled the air as members debated a proposed series for the upcoming Fall term. Yes, they start planning that early! Suggestions ranged from "Forest Gump" to an obscure WWII French movie.

Some suggestions were immediately shot down, not because of rude film snobbery, but because of the "four-yea rule." This rule dictates that a film may only be shown once every four years. For example, today "12 Monkeys" plays, so the next time (hopefully the last time) Bruce Willis' face can grace the screen will be in 2009. The "four-year rule" ensures that student won't see the same film twice in their Dartmouth careers.

So, while all members of the society are welcome to offer suggestions, the true power of decision rests firmly in the hands of the directorate. The directorate is comprised of the most dedicated members of the film society. These people attend the majority of meetings and have written two sets of film notes. In return for their dedication, they get to attend all movies for free, and they get to vote on the series.

The first vote narrows the proposals down to two possibilities. The second vote is anonymous and decides which series will win. The DFS then works with that series' creator to narrow down the proposed films, a process that takes into account all kinds of factors.

Evan Golden, the director of the DFS, attested to the complicated process: "We ask ourselves lots of questions when making a movie selection. Is this something people would pay money to see? If they've seen it on T.V. will they want to see it on the big screen or will it just flop? What about the timing of a film?" An example of film timing was raised for the selection of a film for this Sunday, on the very social, outdoorsy Green Key weekend.

"We asked ourselves whether we should try to show a fun movie to coincide with the fun atmosphere, or whether we should try to show something that would draw more community members because students would be busy," said Golden.

Golden's sensitivity to the campus mood and his foresight to predict movie appeal is impressive and essential to the success of a DFS film series. In the end, DFS decided on "The Italian Straw Hat," a silent movie that will draw a more select, esoteric crowd of art appreciators from both the campus and the community at large.

Not surprisingly, in the history of Dartmouth, the Film Society has always been a force. When the Hop was being built in the 1960s, the DFS was so important that they helped plan the dimensions of Spaulding Auditorium, which has 900 seats and an enormous 29' by 16' screen.

It seems the tradition of DFS' importance continues, since the DFS is still an impressive source of entertainment power.