'03 concocts natural body-care recipes

Natural body care products go one step further than "Tom's of Maine's" niche items when Drew Wilkins '03 concocts his own special toiletries from common natural ingredients.

It isn't that packaged natural products aren't pure enough for Wilkins. He eschews buying toiletries to reduce container waste and save money. Instead of using bulky toothpaste containers, he mixes ingredients, such as baking soda, in tiny glass jelly jars for what he says is convenient dipping and no waste.

Wilkins' recipes employ common household products. For instance, his suggestion for toothpaste is a mixture of salt, baking soda, and peppermint essential oil or cinnamon. Sometimes he adds Vitamin E, which is supposed to act as a preservative and fights cavities.

All of these naturally derived ingredients are better for the body, Wilkins said, and cheaper. Toothpaste made from baking soda also far out-prices the esoteric "Nature's Gate" toothpaste, sold for what Wilkins said is an exorbitant amount at the Hanover Co-op.

Wilkins estimated he only spends around $100 per year for body-care products, which he guessed is much less than normal toiletries and especially natural products would cost.

The idea of creating his own body-care products came to him while working in the body-care section of the Upper Valley Co-op in Lebanon. Seeing all the natural products on the market made him fantasize about creating his own, he said.

Wilkins uses his products daily, employing not only natural toothpaste but also deodorant, aftershave and dandruff treatment/conditioner.

He also creates cleaning products for his household at Dartmouth's Organic Farm.

Wilkins said he encourages his housemates to use the products but does not anticipate a larger campaign beyond individuals already interested in using them.

Although the idea of pouring vinegar all over one's head after waking up in the morning may sound a bit strange, Wilkins's housemate, Hannah Fries '04, said that the vinegar-conditioner is an effective product because it counterbalances the basic nature of soap.

Wilkins was wary of the view that natural or homemade body-care products might be less hygienic.

"In general, I'm a very immaculate person and hygienic," Wilkins said, "I don't want people to think I'm a dirty hippie. I'm not. I'm very hygienic."

"I can certainly vouch for the fact that he doesn't smell, so his products seem to be working well on him," Fries agreed.

However, Fries continues to use her own Tom's products for the time being.

"I haven't tried his deodorant or toothpaste, once I run out of my Tom's of Maine, I might try his," Fries said.

Another important reason for using natural products Wilkins cites is the lack of regulation of the body-care industry.

"Since 1938, the industry has been self-regulated, and not by the FDA. It's something to think about," Fries said.