Trustee candidate works as U. Ga. administrator

Among the candidates for the alumni trustee seat opening in June, Daniel Papp '69 is distinguished by his experience working in higher education for over 30 years.

Papp, senior vice chancellor for academics and fiscal affairs of the University System of Georgia, graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Dartmouth in 1969. He later went on to receive a Ph.D. from the University of Miami.

While at Dartmouth, Papp was a brother at Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity and served as a member of Green Key Society.

In his candidate statement, Papp expressed concern over funding pressures on the College. He also wrote the need to sustain Dartmouth's liberal arts emphasis and striking a balance between tradition and change.

Papp boasts that his longtime career in teaching and higher education administration can increase the "quality and standing" of the College.

"I understand how higher education institutions work from the ground up," Papp said in an interview with The Dartmouth.

Papp calls Dartmouth "one of the world's best liberal arts institutions," offering wonderful education opportunities from a superb student-oriented teaching faculty. He said the community of Dartmouth and the loyalty of its graduates are among the best indicators of the unique quality of the College.

Papp voiced worry, however, about the College sustaining its current standards.

"I understand the critical financial challenges that arise in higher education," Papp said. "We must defend the value and content of a liberal arts education."

Papp cited increased costs of education, decreased returns on investments and higher expectations on the part of students as complicating factors in higher education fiscal management.

"Students are expecting more from colleges and universities today," Papp said. "Fundraising is of critical importance."

When asked about the priorities of the College under possible budget tightening, Papp listed the faculty and the resources required to support the faculty as being of greatest importance.

In his candidate statement, Papp focused a considerable amount of attention to matters of diversity and inclusiveness concerning the College. Papp said a racially and ethnically diverse student body, faculty and staff are essential, but that recruitment efforts alone are not sufficient to ensure diversity. Papp also alluded to Dartmouth's need-blind admissions policy and free speech policy as having to be guarded.

When asked what his vision for the board would be if he were to serve as a trustee, Papp answered that any board has a need to ensure the policies and procedures of the College are appropriate for the times.

"The Board needs to help move Dartmouth forward," Papp said.

As an example of progress, Papp cited the biggest change since Papp's undergraduate career was the "wise decision to admit women to the College."

"It was a huge change in the right direction," Papp said."