Students work to save fired DDS worker

The unexpected firing of much-liked Dartmouth Dining Services employee Mitzi Nalette Tuesday night sparked a flurry of student e-mails protesting her dismissal and seeking to get her job back.

Nalette learned she had lost her job at Food Court when Dartmouth Dining Services director David Newlove called her to his office a half-hour after the start of her regular Tuesday evening shift to officially notify her of the decision, she said in a phone interview with The Dartmouth.

According to Nalette, the reason for her release, a decision made by the College's Human Resources Office, was her poor attendance record.

Newlove said he was not allowed to divulge any information about personnel because of legal obligations and confidentiality constraints. He added that a discipline issue usually involves going through a specific process, but he offered no further details.

Nalette, a long-time cashier at Food Court, attributed her absences to health problems, but added that her attendance has improved considerably after the warning she received in late December.

"I understand where they are coming from, and I did try to better myself," Nalette said.

In conjunction with the warning, Nalette was placed on probation. In the last five months, Nalette was absent for a total of 12 days, which exhausted but did not exceed the number of allowed "sick days" that an employee can use, she said.

Nalette added that she has not gone over that limit, and that she has also presented a doctor's note that the administration has refused to accept.

Nalette said she has also tried to look for a new job with Safety and Security, which could have accommodated her health needs better. She applied last term, but a former dispatcher was given the position instead.

"I really loved my job, but I understand where they were coming from, and I have nothing bad to say against them," Nalette said in reference to the administrative decision, "and I did try to find another job which will allow me to continue working with the students."

Nalette said that what she would miss most of all are students.

"That's what I have always wanted to do -- work with the kids. I love them," she said.

In response, some BlitzMail messages have called for a campus protest to boycott Food Court on Friday to "get Mitzi back."

Student Body President Janos Marton '04 met with Newlove on Thursday morning to voice students' dissatisfaction and concern on the issue.

Students were not the only ones surprised by Nalette's release. Her colleagues were also shocked to hear the news.

Many of the Food Court employees did not know why Nalette was fired specifically, but speculated that the reason was related to attendance issues.

Nalette said the next step is to contact her union and try to appeal the decision.

Union president Earl Sweet said he is working on a grievance appeal that he will be filing as early as next Monday. As part of the appeal, Sweet will be citing the Americans with Disabilities Act, which was passed in 1990 in order to establish a "clear and comprehensive prohibition of discrimination on the basis of disability."

"Mitzi has some health problems, and they knew about it when they hired her," Sweet added.

Newlove confirmed Nalette's right to appeal the decision through the union by going through a specific process.

The process might take up to three months. In the meantime, Nalette said she will probably remain unemployed.