Maroon 5 hosts sold-out musical performance in Leede

Maroon 5 began in 1995 as a four-piece ensemble known as Kara's Flowers. They released an album on Reprise Records in 1997, but remained relatively unknown. In subsequent years, Kara's Flowers left Reprise, but gained backing singer James Valentine, and renamed themselves Maroon 5. But they still only gained household-name status with 2002's release of their album "Songs About Jane" on Octone Records and the current constant looping of their single "This Love" on MTV.

On Sunday, Maroon 5 made their first Hanover appearance. They performed in Leede Basketball Arena before a sold-out crowd of excited Dartmouth students and others.

After an inappropriately mellow opening act that sent fans to the bleachers, Maroon 5 took the stage. Lead singer and band heartthrob Adam Levine began the show wearing a blue T-shirt underneath a red long-sleeved shirt, which he soon stripped off to the screams of teenage girls. The audience, and clearly the first few rows, was composed of mainly female fans. Star-struck screams and occasional squeals of "Marry me!" punctuated the air.

The band began by pulling out its big guns and performing its hit song, "This Love," third in the line-up. Levine clearly enjoyed performing the hit single, which is currently at number five on the Billboard 100, and his energy projected onto his excited audience.

The band alternated between lesser known songs and radio-friendly hits such as "Sunday Morning," the sixth song in the line-up. Maroon 5 led into the melody by playing the base chords until the fans screamed in recognition of the hit single.

On the eighth song, "She Will Be Loved," Levine demanded, "Where are my ladies?" Responding to the screams of his female fans, he thanked them for inspiring him before also thanking his male fans for their support.

The concert was characterized by Levine's vocal gymnastics, which were egged on by the fans, and Jimmy V's guitar stylings.

Although the band gave its Dartmouth fans the upbeat, pop-rock performance they were expecting, it also introduced some more rock-based tunes into the concert that had the fans jumping up and down. Maroon 5 introduced one song, "Wasted Years," that wasn't on their album. Its edgier rock sound hints at a less pop-based music the band might explore in the future.

Most fans were happy with the performance, with the only complaint being that the concert was too short. Maroon 5 delivered exactly what their album had showcased: catchy pop and rock tunes without too much boy-band sappiness.