Explosive bats lead softball to sweep Siena

Dartmouth softball (15-18) won an impressive doubleheader against Siena College (12-23-1) Wednesday. They outscored the Saints 20-10 in the two games, and recorded a season high 20 hits in the nightcap.

The bats were active for Dartmouth's offense throughout the entire day. Jess Reiten '06 started the first game off in the first inning by doubling to left center. She then scored on a single by Jodee Thompson '05.

In the third inning, the Dartmouth offense struck again. Kerry Conway '05 led the inning off with a double. Reiten then rapped her second consecutive hit up the middle to score Conway from first. Reiten would later score on Alicia Petryk '06's two- run to left field. The Big Green took the lead over Siena by the score of 4-0.

Dartmouth would score again in the sixth when Thompson, doubling to right field with bases loaded, knocked in two runs. Later that inning, a sacrifice fly by Petryk scored Reiten, and Thompson came home on a Siena error.

Siena would eventually score three runs in the second half of the sixth inning, but would fall to Dartmouth by a final score of 8-3.

Danica Giugliano '04 improved her record to 9-7 with yet another complete game. She did, however, end her impressive four-game shutout streak by allowing Siena to score three, albeit unearned, runs. During the game, she struck out four and walked two.

Thompson and Reiten both had two hits for Dartmouth. Thompson had an impressive three RBIs, while Reiten had two.

"We were really relaxed and having fun out there," Thompson commented. "We just went in and got the job done."

The second game continued much like the first. On the very first pitch of the game, Conway blasted a long homerun to center field. Reiten, the next batter, hit her first career homerun to left center.

Reiten's teammates were ecstatic for her accomplishment.

"It was so awesome to see Reiten get her first collegiate homerun," Thompson recalled. "The look on her face was priceless."

However, the first inning's scoring was not over. Thompson followed Reiten with a single. Petryk and Adrienne Draper '04 each singled to load the bases. Thompson and Petryk were able to score on a Siena error committed by the shortstop on a hard-hit ball by Lacey Neahr '06. By the end of the first half of an inning, Dartmouth had a four-run lead over Siena.

The Dartmouth bats would not be silenced, and at their next at bat, the Big Green would add another run to the scoreboard. Conway had her second homerun of the game to center field in an almost deja-vu like repeat of her first one to start off the game.

Dartmouth scored again in the third with a two out rally. Lisa Caruso '04 started the rally by reaching on an error. Conway then walked. With runners on first and second, Reiten hit her second homerun of both her career and the game, scoring all three runners and putting Dartmouth ahead of Siena 8-0.

To start the fourth inning, Siena brought in a relief pitcher in the hopes of silencing the Dartmouth bats. However, The Big Green could not be stopped. Four consecutive hits from Petryk, Draper, Fry and Neahr resulted in yet another run.

Until the bottom of the fourth, Dartmouth starter Brittany Copenhaver '04 had a perfect game. Unfortunately, Siena managed to scratch a single and a run in the inning, ending the quest for a shutout as well. Siena would go on to score six more runs over the course of the game.

Seven runs were not enough to defeat the red-hot Dartmouth softball team. In the top of the seventh, five straight singles scored three runs. Conway, Reiten and Thompson all singled to load the bases. Petryk, Draper and Allison Williams '07 would all single with the bases loaded, each receiving one RBI apiece. Dartmouth was victorious over Siena by a final score of 12-7.

Copenhaver was awarded the win, improving her record to 3-4 on the season. She recorded two strikeouts and allowed only four earned runs.

Although the record-breaking 20 hits in the game were somewhat evenly distributed throughout the entire lineup, Conway, Reiten, Petryk, Draper and Thompson all had phenomenal offensive games.

Conway and Reiten each had two home runs. Conway went 4-8 and Reiten went an impressive 6-9 with six runs and five RBIs. Petryk went 4-8 as well and Draper was 4-9, each with an RBI in the game. Thompson came through in many clutch situations, and was 5-8 in the game.

"The team did great," Neahr said. "Our bats came alive, and everyone was pumped to play. I was especially proud of the 1-2 punch by Kerry and Jess that started it all."

Reiten summed up the games simply and poignantly, saying, "We just went out there as a team and played some great softball."

Dartmouth will play again Saturday in a doubleheader at Harvard. The scheduled game time is 2 p.m.