Dealings with S&S a routine part of running Greek houses

Safety and Security's fleet of silver and forest-green vans are a familiar sight on campus, but few know that for much of the Greek system, dealings with the campus police force are a routine part of keeping their houses up and running -- and complying with College regulations.

The closest most of the student body comes to Safety and Security are event checks, also known as walk-throughs, at registered parties on campus.

Though the officers, accompanied by student alcohol monitors, verify that kegs have their keg tags and that an event registered for kegs has no other sources of alcohol, the primary goal of event checks is safety. Safety and Security officers meet with the sober host monitors of the party, who then accompany the officer through the party, checking that the event is not overly crowded or promoting unsafe situations.

"I don't sweat it if there's a few cans or a few people without bracelets at an event," said Timmins. "I talk with the sober monitors after the first walk-through, and I've never had a problem on the second walk-through. We try to let the houses police themselves."

But event checks are not the only times Safety and Security officers set foot in Greek houses.

So-called "safety visits" are house walk-throughs Safety and Security conducts once a week to ensure that there are no flagrant safety hazards in place. The house always has at least 48 hours notice prior to the walk-throughs, but when the officers come they try to be as "inconspicuous as possible," Timmins said.

During safety visits officers check that the house fire extinguishers are in place and working properly, that the exit signs are lit, and fire exits are not blocked. Officers do not go into private rooms, though if they see a violation of College policy they are required to address it.

"We don't specifically look for violations," said Timmins, "but if we're walking through and find a College violation like a keg, we have to deal with it. The same situation applies if a door is open to an individual room and we see a violation," he continued.

It's these types of scenarios that can make Safety and Security unpopular with students on campus, but Timmins said he believes the organization has a good relationship with Greek houses.

"There is some unpleasantness where I've had to shut parties down because of violations," Timmins said, "which makes me unpopular on campus, but the houses are helpful in these situations -- they'll help get people of the house. If we have a problem we'll deal with the house officers."

Many of the times Safety and Security has encountered violations in houses the situation could have been prevented, Timmins said.

"The members of the Greek system are a bunch of great people, but can be lax about following rules," said Timmins. "I blitz out and then go down in the basement and find a keg or punch. It's like 'you knew I was coming' -- use some common sense."

Still, Timmins noted that the general mindset of Safety and Security is to foster good relations with students on campus. Officers are looking for the big violations, namely kegs, drugs and punches, more than the minor discretions. This is where not being an officer sworn to uphold the law, as a Hanover Police officer is, comes in handy, said Timmins.

"We have a little more discretion. If there's a minor incident with a student I'll explain their violation and what could happen to them as a result," said Timmins. "I'd rather leave that student with a good taste in their mouth about Safety and Security than get them in trouble. All I have is a pen."