Cramer '04 picked in NFL draft

NEW YORK -- As picks were made at the NFL Draft at Madison Square Garden Theatre, each player and his school were shown on the big screen. The list read: Louisiana State University, Syracuse, Ohio State ... Dartmouth.

Late in the seventh round, as the second day of the draft was winding down, the announcement came: "With the 27th pick in the seventh round, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Casey Cramer from Dartmouth College."

The 6'2", 235-lb. Dartmouth senior from Middleton, Wisc., is too small to play tight end in the NFL, and was thus drafted as a fullback because of his pass catching ability and noted football intelligence. Cramer was one of only four fullbacks taken in the draft with the others coming from Arizona State, Minnesota and Penn State.

Entering into the draft, Cramer was placed very differently on people's boards. Fox Sports had Cramer listed as a seventh-round selection while Sports Illustrated buried Cramer as the 27th best tight end available. Obviously, Tampa Bay saw something in Cramer they really liked since the Bucs traded third string fullback Darian Barnes to the Cowboys in the sixth round in anticipation of selecting Cramer.

The NFL Draft has seven rounds and 255 total picks, making Cramer's late seventh round pick fortuitous for the Big Green senior. Yale tight end Nate Lawrie was also selected by the Bucs with the 181st pick in the sixth round of the draft.

The distinction of being drafted is rare for Ivy League football players and even more unique for Dartmouth. Only one other Dartmouth player has been drafted in the last 25 years -- Zach Walz '98, who was picked up as a sixth-round pick by the Arizona Cardinals in 1998.

Cramer was a unanimous First-Team All-Ivy pick in both his sophomore and junior years, and a Second-Team All-American in 2002. In the East-West shrine game, Cramer led the East with six catches for 36 yards, including one for 27 yards. He had 13 touchdowns in his final two seasons at Dartmouth. His biggest game of this season was against Brown, when he caught 10 passes for 137 yards in a 26-21 loss.

Cramer played in 39 games for Dartmouth and amassed 180 receptions for 2,405 yards and 20 touchdowns. He also ran nine times for 13 yards and threw one pass for a 35-yard gain during a brief stint as a quarterback.

In 2002, Cramer racked up 72 receptions for 1,017 yards and seven touchdowns, and he followed up as a senior with 58 more grabs for 695 yards and six scores.

The scouting on Cramer discusses his talent, mentioning, however, that his size will prevent him from playing tight end in the NFL and may force him into the fullback position.

ESPN's scouting report on Cramer read: "Cramer is a versatile prospect with a terrific work ethic and football intelligence. Cramer lacks the size of a traditional NFL tight end; he is a tweener who would be a perfect fit in the NFL as a backup halfback and could also contribute on special teams. As with all Ivy League prospects, Cramer's coaches in the East-West Shriner's game raved about Cramer's intelligence and ability to pick up offenses so quickly. Cramer's lack of size and speed will always limit him, but he is a hard-working, intelligent, versatile prospect with the potential to contribute in certain roles on offense, as well as on special teams in the NFL, which is why he's worth taking a chance on in the last couple of rounds of the '04 draft."

Cramer steps into a tumultuous situation in the backfield in Tampa Bay. Mike Alstott sustained a season ending and possible career ending neck injury last season. The injury must have concerned coach Jon Gruden enough to draft Cramer as a possible replacement or backup.

Behind Alstott, the Buccaneers have brought in Greg Comella -- former Giants and Titans fullback; Jameel Cook--previous second string fullback -- and journeyman Deon Dyer.

Typically in the NFL, teams will keep one fullback, two fullbacks at the most on the roster.

There are now four fullbacks plus Cramer fighting for two spots.

To gain a spot on the squad, Cramer must, among other things show Gruden his potential.

It is more likely that Cramer could be sent to NFL Europe as a developmental prospect and then in two years return to the Buccaneers to fight for a starting position once Alstott is gone.

Cramer was unavailable for comment Sunday evening.