Campaign heats up with speeches to SA

The five student body presidential and three vice presidential candidates addressed the Student Assembly at Tuesday night's meeting in an attempt to articulate what sets them apart from their opponents.

Despite a squabble over their commitment to club sports funding, presidential candidates Ralph Davies '05 and Dave Wolkoff '05 both emphasized reaching out to the campus.

"I feel like I've always felt passionate about incorporating different groups around campus. Trying to build one Dartmouth -- that's what makes me different," Davies said.

Similarly, Wolkoff said, "I have talked to over 30 leaders and asked what they wanted instead of telling them. My platform is from them."

Presidential candidate Julia Hildreth '05, meanwhile, eschewed lofty visions and emphasized her "ability to get things done."

"The problem is that student groups don't want to join SA unless SA is productive and efficient," Hildreth said. "I think we have to prove ourselves first. I know I can accomplish that."

Presidential candidate Jim Baehr '05 emphasized his "clear goals for policy change" that focused on bringing together students and administrators, he said.

Presidential candidate Mike Valmonte '06, set apart so far by his lack of visibility throughout the campaign, said, "I'm just an average Joe."

"I think I represent the community at large more so than the other candidates," Valmonte added. "I think I can be a direct mouthpiece to the majority of students."

He quickly added before his time was up, "I also represent the Novack Party."

According to Valmonte, the Novack Party is a "political representation of the microcosm that is Novack [Cafe]."

The party aims to take student government back into the hands of the average student, he said.

The vice presidential candidates also elucidated the minutia of their visions.

"It's really when you get into the vision that the candidates can be differentiated," Dave Zubricki '07 said. "We need to be productive, not conflictive, and go back to the core of the mission, which is being an advocate for student groups to the administration."

Karan Danthi '07 also emphasized the "bigger issues," which he said include amending the Membership and Internal Affairs Committee constitution.

Todd Rabkin Golden '06 took a different stance, emphasizing his experience accomplishing concrete projects on Assembly.

"Vision doesn't make you qualified. I think what you need is experience," he said, adding that he has held seven positions on the Assembly since his freshman fall.

Candidates also answered questions prepared by Assembly members.

Hildreth, responding to an issue about diversity, highlighted a specific issue internal to the Assembly -- the neglect of the Diversity Affairs Committee. While the Assembly used to have a Diversity Affairs Committee, Hildreth said that members "didn't see it as a priority" and didn't take ownership of the committee's projects. Hildreth, however, said that she will reach out to organizations on such issues as the creation of an Asian-American studies department.

Wolkoff said that he has realistic platforms based on his discussions with "51 campus leaders asking them what they want." One such plan is to work with various campus organizations to promote education and training in relation to sexual assault.

Davies declared himself "passionate about diversity," and advocated communication between different groups, while Baehr stressed the importance of campus unity.

"We can bring about a sense of spirit through our love of Dartmouth," he said.

As the sole presidential candidate of color, Valmonte, who is of Filipino and Mexican descent, said, "I think diversity is a tremendous problem on campus. As both an Asian and a Latino, I'm engaged in both communities."

The Assembly also passed three proposals at last night's meeting. For the first time this year, current Student Body President Janos Marton '04 was able to make the tie-breaking vote. His affirmative vote passed a proposal sponsored by Danthi that will set up an online student poll for the alumni trustee election.

Chris Bertrand '07 and Hildreth's proposal to fund a "Meet the Greeks" information session for the Class of 2007 passed. This event is slated to take place on May 11, with over 20 houses set to participate.

Baehr's proposal to fund a Greek celebration passed after lengthy debate over the yet-to-be-determined details of the proposal.