Back to BASICs: College readies for program's 40th

The Beginners' All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code, an innovation of Dartmouth mathematics professors John Kemeny and Thomas Kurtz, was launched 40 years ago Saturday. The BASIC computing language went on to become the most widely used computing language in the world, bringing computer technology to the general public.

At 4 a.m. on May 1, 1964 -- just hours after The Dartmouth published student election results and covered the controversy caused by a sociology professor's comments that Texas was just "semi-civilized" -- two undergraduates pulling an all-nighter quietly launched BASIC programs on several computers in the basement of College Hall, now part of the Collis Center.

The event realized the vision Kurtz and Kemeny had to create an environment where computers were less intimidating for students, even those studying outside the sciences. Unlike the languages from which it was descended, FORTRAN and AGOL, BASIC used common sense commands, including PRINT, SAVE and RUN, which allowed users to more easily develop their own programs.

Originally devised as a teaching tool, BASIC was integrated into the College curriculum at the time through two introductory mathematics courses. Beyond Dartmouth, BASIC brought technology to a network of high schools, colleges and corporate partners.

Paul Allen and Bill Gates, who later formed Microsoft, used a form of BASIC to write the first programs for personal computers. Variations on the language are still used today.

Following the development of BASIC, Kemeny became the 13th president of Dartmouth. Kurtz is now a professor emeritus of mathematics and computer science at the College. Their vision lives on today as the College continues to work for computing innovation and accessibility for students.