Sadly, 'The Prince' not altogether too charming

"The Prince & Me" begins with a car race in scenic Copenhagen, undoubtedly an early reward for the scores of males who have agreed to watch a movie based on an old-fashioned fairy tale targeted at pre-pubescent girls. The clichd fantasy revolves around a rakish and rebellious Prince of Denmark, played by Luke Mably. His counterpart, and the object of his affection, is a common American university student played by Julia Stiles.

The female lead is the type of role that Drew Barrymore, pre-"Charlie's Angels," has perfected in countless films, though she is likely getting too old to play the ingnue. Casting Stiles was an interesting choice because her previous movie, "Mona Lisa Smile," was being shown in theaters mere months ago. In "Mona Lisa Smile," Stiles played a star student at Wellesley College who gave up law school and a potentially fulfilling career as a lawyer to become a housewife. In "The Prince & Me," her character, Paige Morgan, actively chooses to avoid any emotional attachments or distractions in order to focus on getting into medical school. A total one hundred and eighty degree turn.

Or is it? Paige Morgan dedicates her attention to her studies, but she can't help but be charmed by the Prince Edvard, who disguises himself among the commoners as Eddie, the exchange student. He's a little cocky and a little irresponsible, but he's hot -- what girl could resist? He's also an expert on Shakespearian literature, and by coincidence, she needs a tutor in the subject. Double coincidence: it's a Shakespearian play about a brooding Danish prince!

The transparent and highly unlikely coincidences in this movie are only some of its downfalls. The dialogue is contrived, ill-conceived and forced in order to give audiences simple explanations for why things are happening and to move the film along. The editors also make abrupt cuts from scene to scene, so the movie lacks graceful transitions.

In its defense, the movie does add modern touches to the old fantasy. It allows that females can be better suited for organic chemistry and laboratory work while males, even ones who enjoy racing high-end sports cars and low-end lawn mowers, can eloquently elucidate the subtleties and complexities of romance literature. Old gender roles need not apply.

The movie is also smart enough to include a character, albeit a completely unrealistic one, for comic relief throughout the story. Ben Miller steals the show as Eddie's droll personal butler and assistant, Soren. The movie hits its comedic peak when Soren is immersed in the throes of X-Box fanaticism and warns Eddie's rather large and dermatologically-challenged roommate, "Back off, Clearasil!"

This movie had the promise of becoming an updated version of a classic "corny schoolgirl fantasy" but it asks its audiences to suspend too much disbelief. The film comes off as a disjointed patchwork of old fragments and new interpretations that doesn't hold together believably.

Nonetheless, if your niece asks you to take her to this movie, take her because it can't be that much worse than the alternative offerings being pushed on her age group today. Paige works hard towards her lifelong dream of becoming a doctor who will help the poor and needy. She stays true to her goals, her roots and her self, even when posed with the chance to marry the man that she loves, who just happens to be an educated, handsome and rich prince.

A prince who rides up on his horse to carry her away to his royal castle, and I'm not telling you what happens after that -- see the movie for yourself.