Students neglect to offer input on librarian search

A Dean of the Libraries search committee meeting designed to gather student input into the hiring of a new dean attracted no students and no input Tuesday night.

Members of the search committee were present to field questions and suggestions, but no students arrived to offer feedback.

The committee, formed last September, is seeking to gain student and faculty opinions as the College looks for a replacement for former Librarian of the College, Richard Lucier. Lucier resigned in January.

Chair of the committee Katharine Conley said that attendance at input meetings had been higher earlier in the search process. She called the low attendance a sign that the committee was on the right track and that no students had objections. The committee is also planning faculty input meetings and will begin reviewing applications in April. Interviews are scheduled to start this summer.

The lack of student input at Tuesday night's meeting stands in contrast to the outpouring of protest that accompanied Lucier's Fall 2003 announcement that library budgets would be sharply curtailed. Lucier's plans to turn Sanborn Library into a reading room and merge Sherman Art Library into the larger Baker-Berry complex prompted pointed criticism from both faculty and students.

The committee's website, found on the Dartmouth Library home page, offers an overview of the job description of Dean of Libraries as well as an outlet for campus feedback about the search.