MTV starts new college station, mtvU

This term, students at more than 720 colleges nationwide are enrolling in MTV's latest college venture -- just by picking up their TV remotes.

On Jan 20, MTV launched its new college-oriented channel mtvU, billing it as the largest, most comprehensive television network just for college students. MTV is relaunching the channel after purchasing it from the College Television Network in October 2002.

The brand-new station will serve as "a resource for students' lives, everywhere they are, when they're in their dorm rooms, surfing the net, or walking across campus," said Van Toffler, president of music networks MTV, MTV2 and mtvU.

mtvU general manager Stephen Friedman explained the channel's motivations: "We want to be a laboratory for what's new, whether it be new music or recognizing the talents of the students themselves."

In keeping with mtvU's philsophy, shows like "The Cut" and "The Freshman" will highlight new arrivals to the music scene, such as Dizzee Rascal, Atmosphere and Death Cab for Cutie. Students will also be able to download tracks from these artists for free.

Although Dartmouth does not receive mtvU yet, Sue Mei Cheah '07 said she is looking forward to seeing it on campus.

"The VJs have eclectic tastes, so we're not stuck listening to N'Sync or Christina Aguilera all the time," she said.

The station is offering resources and exclusive opportunities to students on mtvU campuses.

Every week this school year, one social activist or student entrepreneur will receive a $1,500 "mtvU Grant" from the channel's producers.

In addition, winners of the "You Want It, You Got It" contest get to pick their own prizes, ranging from a year of tuition to a car with free gas to a "tricked out dorm room."

And students in Hanover don't want to miss out. Most students interviewed by The Dartmouth said they would like a chance to watch mtvU and win prizes.

In the "Stand In" feature, celebrity icons will descend upon college classrooms to be teachers for a day. Heavy metal rocker Marilyn Manson will be the first surrogate teacher, teaching about music and marketing, while future stand-ins this semester include author Frank McCourt and civil rights leader Jesse Jackson.

"Bring Kelly Rowland or Alicia Keys to school and have them teach all my classes," Brian Donaldson '07 suggested.