Green sailors start season in Charleston

The first signs of sun and warmer temperatures have brought some good beginnings to the Dartmouth College sailing team. Former coach and alumnus Arthur E. Allen '32 is engaged to marry a lovely 85-year-old this week in Hanover. Another former coach, Peter Spaulding, is coming off a win in the U.S. Olympic sailing trials with teammate Tim Wadlow, and plans to represent the United States at Athens.

Closer to home, the Dartmouth sailors were in action for the first time this weekend after a long winter. The team traveled to Charleston, South Carolina for the Charleston Spring Intersectional, hosted by Charleston College.

The all first-year of team of Erick Storck '07, Killarney Loufek '07 and Jimmy Attridge '07 showed poise beyond their years, taking second place in A- division. In the B-division, Scott Linthicum '04 guided his team of Christina Duncan '06 and Jimmy Attridge '07 to a solid fifth-place finish.

The 13 races in both divisions were broken up over two days. On Sunday, the sailors "shook off the rust and won the day easily after getting back in the groove over the course of the first day of racing," according to coach Brian Doyle.

The combined scores resulted in an overall third place for Dartmouth in the regatta, behind Charleston and Georgetown University.

Commodore Jon Kling '04 said, "This weekend was a great way to start the new season. It's always tough not being able to sail as soon as other schools because of the lingering winter, so it's nice to compete early and get practice headed into the spring season."

Corroborating Kling's statements, Dartmouth is currently ranked second nationally in both co-ed and women's polls. The sailors will be back in action this coming weekend travelling to fabulous destinations, like Charleston, to get ready for a strong spring season.