Faucher resigns after 20 years

He won 136 games, the third-most in Dartmouth's history. Twice, his teams took second place in Ivy League competition, and under his direction, the Big Green snapped the University of Pennsylvania's 48-game conference winning streak.

In his 1996-97 campaign, the College won 18 games, a feat accomplished only one other time in the past 45 years. For two decades he immersed himself in Dartmouth College and its basketball program, seven years as an assistant and 13 as the head coach.

But Monday, head basketball coach Dave Faucher resigned.

Faucher will finish out the 2003-04 season with his players. Then he will move on, although he said he is not quite sure where.

"I'm too busy with plan A to worry about plan B," said Faucher, still trying to squeeze a few more wins out a tough season.

Injuries and close losses have defined Dartmouth's year. Since defeating Harvard Jan. 1, Dartmouth has lost 12 consecutive games and stands with a current record of 3-19. Yet when Faucher was at the low point of his professional coaching career, those who knew him best came to his aid.

Amid speculation that his contract would not be renewed at the end of this season, Faucher's former players called Dartmouth to plead their coach's case.

But Faucher did not want to be saved.

"I didn't want to create a situation of putting them [former players] in a position of divided interest with the school. So I took the initiative and resigned."

Though Faucher would have rather gone out under different circumstances, he certainly appreciated the time that he has spent at the College.

"The best part about coaching at a great school like this is the tremendous people that it attracts. I have a board in my office with pictures of every player I have coached here since 1985. The relationships I have built with my kids don't last for four years, they last for 40."

Now that Faucher has announced he will not be returning next season, the search must begin for a replacement. As of yet, a successor has not been chosen and most likely will not be for several more months.

But no matter who is selected, Athletics Department colleagues said, it will be difficult to a better man than Faucher.

"Dave Faucher is a wonderful person of class and dignity," Senior Associate Athletic Director Brian Austin said. "Unfortunately, the program struggled and as leader of the program, he thought it was best to step down."

Steve Callahan '05, the basketball team's captain, said on behalf of the team: "We deeply respect Coach Faucher and the decision he has made to resign as our coach at the end of the season, and we wish him nothing but the best."

Faucher "has deep respect for the school, the basketball program, and most especially our team, and he felt that it was in the best interest of all involved to make the move to step down and send the program in a new direction," Callahan added.