Students to perform on awareness

By Jenn Buck

The Dartmouth Staff

There has been no shortage of discussion about sexual assault on campus of late, with articles in several major publications and a campus-wide poster blizzard.

But for four undergraduates in particular, it's not enough to talk.

"We noticed there are two prominent sides in the awareness campaign," said Sasha Acher '06. "One camp talked about dialogue and opening up, while another advocated activism, taking a stand. We wanted to bring these two together and create something that moved forward in unison."

Acher is joined in her effort by Liz Tunick '05, Caroline Kerr '05 and Chelsea Voake '06. Each of these women self-identifies as being affected by sexual assault, either as a survivor or a partner of a survivor.

Kerr pointed out what she feels many people miss: "Sexual assault affects more than its victims. Partners, friends, roommates; almost everyone at Dartmouth has been affected in some way."

And it's important that everyone affected, directly or indirectly, has a chance to speak, the four said.

So these women decided independently of any campus group or sponsorship to create a sexual assault awareness performance, where anyone -- male or female, survivor or supporter -- could come together. Feb. 24 will mark the first event of its kind at Dartmouth.

"We're hopeful that for the people in the audience and for the contributors that is will a growing thing, an empowering thing, rather than just a spectacle," said Voake.

The group is careful to recognize that sexual assault is not something one experiences and then subsequently forgets or "gets over" quickly, said Acher. "We want people to recognize that, and to be aware of how they interact with others around the issue. Awareness brings respect."

Kerr pointed out that the controversial posters from last term served to raise the issue, but may have splintered the community. "We wanted to move past the abstract numbers and statistics, because it's easy to get angry in an impersonal way over those. But if you're witnessing personal accounts from people around you, it's very hard not to hear that," she said.

"I'm hoping it will do more than raise awareness," Tunick added, in a voice thick with emotion. "I'm hoping... I don't know what I'm hoping it will do," she said, as the women all fell into a contemplative silence.

The group is accepting submissions, anonymously or to be read by the author, via email or Hinman Box. They aim to finalize their selections within a week.

"If it didn't happen to you personally, you feel you don't have a right to claim the experience as your own," said Kerr. "But there's an outside force that still has power in your relationship."

"There's something so hurtful about someone you love being hurt, and not to be able to do anything about it is the worst thing ever," added Voake. "So we are creating a forum where everyone affected to any degree can feel empowered. That's the most important part; bringing people together under a common umbrella, to empower us all."