Med school babes help keep track of the days and more

A group of Dartmouth Medical School students released a calendar last December that offers an unusual take on the traditional calendar photographs of scantily clad women.

The calendar, which features pictures of shirtless male medical students, is intended to raise money for charity.

It also enhances the well-being of those who purchase the calendar, according to calendar model, J.P. Dedam.

Dedam said he also hopes that the calendar, 'DMS Beefcakes 2004,' will help crack the "myth that Dartmouth med students are rigid and personality-less."

The Beefcakes are raising money for the International Medical Supplies Project, whose mission is to send medical supplies to impoverished communities around the world.

IMSP was founded this year by David Sears, a second-year medical student. The organization consists of 12 members who are first- and second-year students.

Sears said he was inspired to establish the IMSP at Dartmouth by an undergraduate classmate at Northwestern University, who started a similar charity organization.

Although the members of IMSP are still working out the logistics of the project, Sears said he hopes they can begin sending supplies by the end of the year.

Initially, they will target areas where Dartmouth faculty are already working.

Many of the members involved in the IMSP at Dartmouth have previously done medical work or research abroad, and they therefore understand the significance of such projects.

Dedam, for example, spent one and a half months in Nicaragua surveying the status of childhood nutrition. There, "people didn't have access to antibiotics and anti-parasitic drugs," Dedam said.

Sears, who worked in Bolivia, said, "There are so many challenges with international health, and based on our work and experience, it's something that's very important to us."

Beefcakes Sears, Dedam and Matt Baird agree that the calendar has been a successful publicity stunt for IMSP. They have been contacted by not only people interested in purchasing the calendar, but also other organizations that are interested in collaborating with IMSP.

Already the organization has sold approximately 120 calendars, primarily to the Beefcakes' classmates and families, according to Sears.

"Most of the [administrators] in the med school have bought at least one," added Baird.

Despite the shock of professors in the anatomy department, which Dedam described as "a little more conservative," the Beefcakes' calendar seems to be popular among all ages.

Sears recalled that even a 92-year-old woman who was given the calendar seemed to enjoy it, remarking, "every time my heart slows down, I'm gonna look at the calendar."

Each month the calendar features an Adonis-like med student taking part in a sport or activity, always equipped with a stethoscope.

Short biographies of the students are included. The bio includes coveted information about each beefcake, such as his astrological sign, turn-ons, turn-offs, his ideal date, and his "beef to cake ratio."

Beefcake turn-ons range from rescue breathing to Waffle House. Turn-offs include facial hair, phlegm and capri pants.

"The beef to cake ratio is indicating that some of us are more cake than beef," Dedam explained. They tried to include a "broad range of beefiness and cake," he said.

Sears added that "where you fall on the beef to cake spectrum appeals to different aspects of the female libido."

Models for the calendar were chosen based on an "extensive selection process," according to Baird.

"We had a quadruple secret meeting," said Sears. "It's a shame there are only twelve months in the year because there is an extraordinary amount of talent over at the med school."

Sears said he had little trouble with the photography involved in creating the calendar. "A photographer is only as good as his subjects. I was working with extraordinarily sexy men."

(But, ladies, take heed: Only two of the twelve beefcakes are single, according to Sears.)

Dedam added that almost no photos were digitally altered, although some of the final photos reflect a lot of trials. Mr. February had 77 photos taken in the process.

In addition to raising funds for charity, Baird, Dedam and Sears added that the calendar is an important statement.

"We're changing the medical arts, one washboard stomach at a time," Sears said.

Thus, the DMS calendar offers a two-fold approach to the new year by allowing consumers to indulge in a whole year of Beefcake bliss and by contributing to a worthy cause, they said.

Dedam said they hope to continue with different fundraising efforts in the future, while Sears said he hopes to find first year medical students to "take the reigns next year."

For now, they are focusing on marketing the 2004 calendar. "It's a humanitarian mission to get this calendar out to as many people as possible," Sears said.

"It's like locking up good art."

Calendars are currently on sale for ten dollars each, with discounted rates for multiple purchases.

Sears requested that anyone interested blitz "DMS Beefcakes" for "order requests, donations and dates."

DMS Beefcakes calendars are also on sale at the Dartmouth Bookstore and at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center.