Lieberman stumps in town

Democratic presidential candidate Joe Lieberman's campaign was busy in Hanover yesterday, as members of the senator's family and his Connecticut colleagues took casual strolls down South Main Street and through Collis Cafe.

Connecticut comptroller Nancy Wyman and Matthew Lieberman, Sen. Lieberman's son, are campaigning together throughout New Hampshire for the presidential hopeful with less than two weeks remaining before Jan. 27's primary.

The candidate himself met with residents at Hanover's Kendal Senior Center, where he emphasized the importance of the approaching primary.

Wyman, who is endorsing Lieberman, said she is well aware that a sizeable portion of the New Hampshire electorate has not made up its mind on a Democratic contender. As such, she is dedicating herself to what could be a crucial turning point in the final days before the primary.

When asked whether Lieberman could face off with President Bush as the Democratic nominee, Wyman responded, "The one person George Bush is worried about is Joe Lieberman. Joe's smarter, more articulate, and has better ideas."

Wyman has a long professional history with Lieberman. She defines his leadership style as being powerful enough to "bring sides together that haven't been together for years."

Lieberman's son, Matthew, called his father the "perfect [candidate] for the Democratic Party on the issues." A 36-year-old private school teacher who like his father graduated from Yale University, he said his father has a "great" chance in New Hampshire.

When not in public view, Wyman, Matthew Lieberman and the greater Lieberman campaign are focused on the remaining days in New Hampshire and the battles that lie ahead in other states.

Right now, "Our goal is to do surprisingly well in New Hampshire -- better than people expect," Matthew Lieberman said.

Still, the campaign has been forced to deal with several serious blows. Just yesterday, former President Jimmy Carter announced his support for frontrunner Howard Dean. Earlier, former Vice President Al Gore turned against his 2000 running mate and endorsed Dean.

Wyman, however, said Lieberman campaigners "view themselves stronger" after the Gore endorsement for Dean, and that it turned out to be much more beneficial than damaging.

At the Senior Center, Lieberman stressed that this primary "should be taken seriously." His points were clear and concise: "I'm running for President ... because I believe I can do it better than the man who is there."

"This election's too important," Lieberman said. "We can't afford another four years like this."

Amongst other conversation, Lieberman spoke of his concerns with the current world order, specifically foreign distrust of the United States as the result of the Bush administration's diplomatic policy. The Orthodox Jew also made mention of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict, and, referring to the situation said, "My foremost criticism of this administration: They're disengaged."

The campaign is notable for the role Lieberman's family plays, something that crowd encourage some undecided voters to cast a vote in his favor come election time.

Matt Lieberman's daughter, Willie, 4, was alongside him throughout his day of campaigning. Lieberman himself referred to his granddaughter frequently in his speech at the Senior Center. Lieberman's 89-year-old mother also campaigns actively for her son.

With many undecided voters in the political picture, the New Hampshire primary is less certain than some would admit -- including the Lieberman campaign. So much so that, when asked whether there's a possibility his father could become president, Matthew Lieberman responded, "Absolutely."