Greek orgs. face rise in charges

With as many as seven Greek organizations facing alcohol policy violation charges, many fraternity and sorority leaders have expressed alarm, arguing that the College is unfairly enforcing its policies on them.

At present, Sigma Delta and Kappa Delta Epsilon sororities and Sigma Phi Epsilon, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Kappa Kappa Kappa, Chi Gamma Epsilon, Alpha Delta and Psi Upsilon fraternities are being investigated by Safety and Security and the Office of Residential Life.

Additionally, Theta Delta Chi, Gamma Delta Chi and Bones Gate fraternities and The Tabard coed fraternity are currently serving social probation terms.

Social probation forbids organizations from serving alcohol or holding parties in a house's common space.

If found guilty, up to 12 Greek organizations may be placed on probation this term. This would leave just four Panhellenic Council and three Interfraternity Council organizations not on probation or under investigation.

Dean of the College James Larimore said the idea of an administrative crackdown on the Greek system is more perception than reality, and that no alleged violations should warrant permanent derecognition.

But many members of the Greek system, including Student Body President Janos Marton '04, are disturbed by what they perceive as an attempt to further curtail the Greek system.

"I think personally that it is obvious that there have been series of recent crackdowns," said Marton, who is also a Chi Gam member. "Students have to stop being complacent."

The IFC is preparing a response to what it views an unduly harsh enforcement policy, according to IFC President Jonathan Lazarow '05 and IFC Vice President Stephen Daley '05.

Although the IFC has been rumored to be planning a boycott of Winter Carnival -- in which fraternities would not hold parties -- Daley and Lazarow said that the organization has not yet made definite plans.

Right now, "we are brainstorming and listening to the [Greek] presidents," Lazarow said.

Lazarow and Daley stressed that they do not view the recent developments as a "crackdown" or part of a plan to eliminate the Greek system. They said that the apparent spike in accusations against the fraternity system is due to Safety and Security's critical enforcement of its Greek policy.

In general, the IFC agrees with many of the policies and concerns that the College administration has in regards to the Greek system, Daley and Lazarow said.

"We really just have an issue with the difference between the intention of the law and the enforcement of rules," Lazarow said.

Both Daley and Lazarow cited this concern in regard to the College's keg policy, which requires all kegs to be returned on the day after the pre-registered social event.

Daley and Lazarow agreed with the policy in principle as good measure to limit the amount of alcoholic beverages at fraternity parties. But, they said that the policy is enforced in a way that is particularly punitive to fraternities for being lazy.

"If you don't return an empty keg within a certain time after a party" -- 3 p.m. the following day -- "you get hit with a keg violation," Daley said.

Lazarow and Daley also said they were concerned that the Organizational Adjudication Committee may hand out excessive punishments on Greek organizations found guilty of charges because it considers an organization's previous violations in determining a sentence.

"Some houses never have a chance to get away from their past histories," Lazarow said.

Another concern, voiced by a fraternity member who wished to remain anonymous, was the College policy of investigating Greek organizations based on reports from underage students picked up for intoxication.

"I think it's a miserable way of finding facts -- it promotes individuals being able to rat out a house that they are not particularly fond of," the fraternity member said.

Marton has proposed a "just say no" campaign, in which students picked up by Safety and Security refuse to disclose what fraternity provided them with alcohol.

At least one Greek organization is currently being investigated under this circumstance.

All matters aside, Daley and Lazarow said that the administration has been very open to listening to the IFC's recently-stated concerns.

Larimore, too, praised Greek organizations for their actions over the past 12 to 18 months.

"The CFS leadership has done a really good job in responding to College policy and managing safer social events," Larimore said.