Bush lauds economic upturn

Assuring Americans that the United States is on the right course in the post-Sept. 11 world, President Bush stressed national security, anti-terrorism efforts and foreign policy in a pointed and semi-accusatory State of the Union address to the nation Tuesday night.

"The state of our union is confident and strong," Bush said in the speech's opening. From there, the President praised Congress for its dedication to tax cuts, education and prescription drug benefits.

Early on, the President called on Congress to make the tax cuts that have been exacted since 2001 permanent. Citing the most positive economic figures, Bush argued that America's economy is "strong, and growing stronger."

Throughout his speech, Bush insisted that the United States would not stop fighting to protect freedom around the world.

"The United States of America will never be intimidated by thugs and assassins," Bush said, moving toward the topic of the war in Iraq. The President offered a retrospective on the Iraqi situation before calling for a sustained commitment to efforts in that war-ravaged land.

Whereas last year, Bush sought to build his case for war and demonstrate evidence that Saddam Hussein's Iraq was aiding and abiding terrorists, on Tuesday night he continued to stress that the search to find chemical weapons and weapons of mass destruction continues. Furthermore, he reiterated his commitment to remain above what Republicans view as Democrats' attempts to derail his national security policy.

Bush stressed the importance of rebuilding and securing Iraq after the capture of its former dictator, Saddam Hussein, and reiterated America's commitment to creating an Iraqi democracy and transferring power to Iraqi officials as soon as the conflict there is over.

In short, Bush said, "the work of building a new Iraq is hard--and it is right."

On a related note, Bush praised the significance of the Patriot Act, and its efforts to hunt terrorists and secure the nation, then insisting that Congress act to renew the controversial and landmark legislation.

The President urged all Americans to join him in combating terrorism, arguing that the path his administration chose, in invading both Afghanistan and Iraq, was the right one.

"We are making progress towards excellence for every child in America," Bush said, as he praised the contentious No Child Left Behind Act.

Bush insisted on eliminating the use of steroids and illegal drugs among students and athletes, and stressed abstinence-only education.

Noting that "our nation must defend the sanctity of marriage," Bush also threatened to oversee the passage of a constitutional amendment to block gay marriage.

Bush entreated Congress to approve legislation making it easier for small businesses to join together and purchase association health insurance plans for their employees.

And in another health-related issue, the President continued his insistence that Congress limit damages in medical malpractice lawsuits, citing that outrageous awards are driving up health care costs for Americans and straining the federal budget.