New Mexican foods spice up Courtyard Cafe menu

Filling the void left following the demise of Mojo's, the Courtyard Caf at the Hopkins Center is offering several new foods to students this year that give the popular food court a new Mexican flavor.

Dartmouth Dining Services introduced burritos, taco salads and a rice and bean bowl to The Caf's menu to complement the traditional American foods that The Hop has usually served.

The new additions increase the Caf's range of dishes, which continues to include a large breakfast menu, a full variety of grilled specialties and a full sandwich bar.

According to David Newlove, Associate Director of DDS, the Mexican food at the Hop is selling extremely well, totaling almost 10 percent of total sales for the Courtyard Caf.

Newlove said that DDS introduced the new Mexican foods in response to a desire for such foods on campus.

The success of these foods, according to Newlove, especially the burritos, the most popular of the new menu items, prove that DDS's analysis was correct.

Now, I am not a huge fan of Mexican food. In fact, I'm only slightly less picky than a vegan on a diet.

Most of my calories this year will come in the form of chocolate bars, chocolate ice cream and chocolate Pop Tarts.

For me, the famed freshman 15 refers to my ankles alone. I practically gained an orientation 11.

My only experience with burritos in life was on my Dartmouth Outing Club trip.

One night, after making an entire pot of beans, our group of seven realized that we could not finish all the food we had cooked.

Naturally, we did not want to waste the food, and we certainly refused to litter the campground, so we realized that we had no choice other than to finish all the beans against our better judgment.

However, instead of rationing the excess beans and splitting them among us, we let one of our trip leaders, who will remain nameless, eat all the rest of the beans.

Suffice it to say that my first experience with burritos was not a positive one.

Nevertheless, I set out to sample some of the new cuisine on a recent trip to retrieve my mail.

As it turns out, I was too intrigued by the chicken quesadillas -- an old favorite at The Hop -- to try the new food, and with good cause: the quesadillas are truly scrumptious.

Though slightly expensive, the "quesos," as they are called at The Caf both on the menu and by the staff, are worth the money.

Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for the chicken burrito which I later tasted, which had a soft texture that bothered me.

However, I must report that other students had more pleasant reactions to their burritos.

"The Hop burritos are reminiscent of Taco Bell, with a little bit more originality and creativity," said Adam Shpeen '07. "The taco salad is also a delightful alternative," he added.

The Hop offers myriad toppings, including lettuce, tomatoes, onions, peppers, melted cheese and sour cream, among others. The wide variety of vegetables and condiments allows students to customize the burrito to their personal liking.

I suggest, however, never to unwrap a burrito.

Mushy beans, ground beef, melted cheese, watery sour cream and chopped vegetables create a distinct texture and look that can only be compared to dog food.

Don't misunderstand me; the burrito did not taste bad at all.

I am a stronger advocate for the quesadillas.

These gooey, cheese-filled pitas are grilled to perfection by a hard-working man wearing a hairnet.

While students rave about their taste, however, many complain that they are too small, and do not suffice as a meal.

With limited dining dollars available on students' cards and food prices running high, some have opted to avoid such expensive foods, such as the quesadillas, that do not fill their stomachs.

I have fallen victim to this conundrum. In order to supplement my chicken quesadilla, I spent nearly $10 on dinner one night.

In this sense, one could compare the quesadillas at The Hop to other high priced but unfulfilling foods, such as sushi or caviar. Well, perhaps not quite. But the quesadillas nonetheless merit a taste.

All in all, the new menu may prove cause for a fiesta.