'Leaf peepers' visit campus as town rakes in profits

For Hanover and much of northern New England, brilliant foliage signifies more than just the arrival of fall, as thousands of tourists flock to the region to witness a spectacular change of colors without parallel elsewhere in the world.

Buses full of these so-called "leaf peepers" have been invading campus since October 1 to enjoy the fall colors in peak season, making a substantial contribution to the local economy in the process.

Peter Macaluso, a New Jersey resident visiting the area, described the foliage as "an eye-opener" at his stop on campus yesterday.

Mary Seifert, a tour guide for Tauck Tours, a company that makes foliage stops on the Dartmouth campus, described her clientele as mostly west-coasters, with a few tourists from the south and some from overseas.

"We get mostly older couples, a few single girls," she said.

The tourists mean more patrons for Hanover businesses, too.

"For foliage it starts the end of September. What's funny is it's heavier after the leaves drop. It's heavier after Columbus Day -- when there's no foliage left," said Anne Traut, desk receptionist at the Hanover Inn.

Murphy's manager John McDonald explained that the season means "lots more business" for his restaurant.

Most tours have 40 to 45 people in a group, and the trips range from short day trips to weeklong excursions in New England, according to a spokesperson for affordabletrips.com, a travel agency based in Houston, TX, which books many such vacations. Reservations begin as early as June or July.

The leaves begin to change color in mid-September, and the peak season in the Dartmouth area begins October 4th and continues through October 24th, according to the newhampshire.com Fall Foliage Report.

The leaves generally fade by the 28th of October, though peak season begins and ends earlier as one proceeds north.

It's not only tourists that are impressed by the leaves, however. Melina Marmarelis '07 from Los Angeles, California, has been astonished by the changes.

"Palm trees don't really change color. Every time I walk out of my dorm here I am amazed by all of the brilliant colors," she said.

Connor Shepherd '07, from Austin, Texas, says fall at his home is much different.

"No trees ever lose their leaves and there is certainly no color change," he said.

Matthew Sueoka '04, an Orinda, California, native agrees.

"Fall is blistering post-summer heat through September. The weather eventually cools off in October and November, but we never see the array of New England foliage colors. It's Dartmouth at its best," he said.

Other fall activities near campus include hayrack and buggy rides, apple picking, and road trips.