Dido fights off the sophomore slump

Most of Dido's fans probably discovered her while watching "Roswell" or listening to Eminem. People wondered whose haunting voice that was singing the theme song or the chorus in "Stan." But Dido has since been recognized as an artist in her own right. Her debut album "No Angel" sold more than 12 million copies worldwide in 1999. And now she's back, with her follow-up album "Life for Rent."

Like many artists with a chart-topping debut album, Dido certainly had high expectations to live up to. Her fans should be satisfied that Dido, with her gorgeous voice, is back with enchanting melodies and soulful lyrics. There are several great moments on the album and a hidden bonus track at the very end that's a pleasant surprise for the listener who waits for it.

The single and lead-off track "White Flag," like a few other tracks, starts with a dynamic introduction with strings. It's the song where Dido seems to be speaking to her fans and critics personally as she croons her chorus "I will go down with this ship and I won't put my hands up and surrender/There will be no white flag above my door/I'm in love and always will be." Let's hope then for the sake of pop culture, this album will prove to be a victory.

It is no wonder that "Life for Rent" serves as the title track as it clearly sticks out. There is no instrumental introduction, Dido's voice starts straight away along with her cozy acoustic guitar riff. Her vocal melody is memorable and the lyrics appear to be reflective of her personal feelings. The track ends with a repeated fading line "Nothing I have is truly mine," reflecting the overall feeling of being lost that is present on the whole album.

The last official track, "See the Sun," is a mix of a soothing melody and thoughtful lyrics; it will lift up your spirits. But as soon as the listener thinks the album has drawn to an appropriate close, a worthy bonus track with radio potential in its own right is heard. A simple arrangement featuring only guitar and piano, it is a personal track. When Dido sings, "the closer you get, the better you see/the closer you are, the more I see," it's as if she's inviting the listener even deeper into her world as the last notes of the album are played out.

However, "Life for Rent" does have its pitfalls. "Who Makes You Feel" is downright annoying. Dido's voice goes from being mysteriously subtle to being ghostly soft to the point of displeasure. She sings boring, repetitive lyrics to a hip-hop beat, which proves to be a dismal failure. "Do You Have a Little Time" is mainly a mix of heavy-hearted strings and Spanish guitar, tinted with synthetic electronic beats throughout. It is so dreary and tedious that the skip button starts looking awfully good.

But "Life for Rent" is no brush off effort. It is a good listen, with some tracks worth dumping, but mainly those that are worth your money. The album is a little more acoustically inclined than "No Angel" as Dido mainly uses a mix of strings, electronic synthesizers, and acoustic guitar. The result is a mixed bag, but one that is for the most part enjoyable. The album won't change your life, but it will brighten your day a little.