Both solo albums from Outkast are instant classics

In 2000, the dynamic, down home pair known to the world as Outkast gave birth to a new era in hip-hop with "Stankonia." The uninhibited compilation once again reinvented the group's style and begged the question among listeners, "What's next?"

That question was answered when the duo of Big Boi and Andr 3000 came out with their spine-tingling double-solo album "Speakerboxxx/The Love Below." The album had critics and fans everywhere wondering whether the group might be splitting up. However, as Big Boi explains in his single, "The Way She Moves," "Outkast is everlastin'/ Not clashin', not at all."

"Speakerboxx," Big Boi's contribution to the double album, supplies classic Outkastian raps and smooth, driving bass lines. Eclectic as ever, Big Boi incorporates brass instruments into his bass-heavy "I Like the Way She Moves" and the more rock-inspired "Rooster."

While much of the album revolves around lust and love, "War" provides a serious commentary on America's shortcomings. Likewise, "Church," with it's gospel revelry touches on Big Boi's religious convictions and emphasizes the duo's strong Southern Christian roots.

As a whole, "Speakerboxxx" highlights Big Boi's unique rapping style and helps to set him apart from the majority of artists in the hip-hop community. Big Boi's album, while a solid effort, still followed a mostly conventional formula unlike the album of his partner, Andr 3000.

Andr 3000's "The Love Below" represents a dramatic departure from conventional hip-hop. In fact the album can hardly be confined within any particular genre of music. He combines jazzy funk inspired by the likes of Miles Davis, John Coltrane, James Brown and Isaac Hayes with punk rock typical of groups such as The Ramones. In addition, Andr explores new avenues in acoustic traditions following the likes of The Beatles and Coldplay. Unlike any of Outkast's previous albums, rap is secondary to the soulful melodies of Andr's falsetto.

Andr not only writes and sings all of his songs, he also plays many of the instruments, a practice atypical of many hip-hop artists. Even more than Big Boi's, Andr's lyrics focus on the mysteries of lust and love as well as the pain which often results. In songs such as "Spread," the lyrics border on scandalous as Andr elaborates on his lascivious desires. "Roses" exhibits Andr's bitterness towards cold-hearted and pretentious women.

Generally a sour commentary on love, "The Love Below's" penultimate song "Vibrate" offers the listener an alternative to love through self-gratification. "The Love Below" should definitely be thrown in the CD player following a bad breakup for either a quick recovery or an even deeper depression.

Andr's songs not only deliver meaningful lyrics, they also take the listener on a diverse and ingenious musical adventure. The hit single "Hey Ya" is an anomalous pop track blending the fast pace rhythm of a punk rock song with the acoustic styling of a Beatles tune and the plodding bass of a Parliament-Funkadelic classic.

"Speakerboxxx/The Love Below" is truly a listening experience unlike any other. The album is a risky endeavor for Big Boi and Andr. However, it is refreshing to see a musical group live up to its name, stick to its creative roots and put out something that is not "mainstream" while so many other artists continue to sell out.