Ask Me Monday Morning

I was speaking with a '93 the other day, and

he asked me if I was excited for Homecoming weekend.

I didn't really know what to say. I had only heard vague rumors of the many traditions involving Homecoming Weekend, centering mainly on a really big fire, freshmen running everywhere and general bacchanalia.

Sounds like a typical weekend thus far, with the possible exception of the fire.

So what makes Homecoming special? That's the question that members of the class of 2007 have perhaps pondered when not playing beer pong, sleeping or trying to make sense of Kant.

Did I mention general bacchanalia?

The '93, my friend and former teacher, talked about the freshman sweep, the many laps around the bonfire, brave students rushing the field (which used to be acceptable) and the quintessential Dartmouth scene -- a bunch of angry and not entirely sober students handcuffing themselves to the bonfire logs and shouting, "We want kegs!"

Yeah Dartmouth tradition!

As enlightening as that conversation was, I still don't know what to expect. I do, however, have an idea.

Amid all the revelry and intoxication, there might be something else going on, as my friend suggested. Maybe there's something bigger than drunken ribaldry that makes Homecoming weekend at Dartmouth worth remembering. Something that distinguishes Dartmouth from all the other colleges and universities out there. Something that touches the core of our experience here in Hanover.

And, though I haven't experienced it yet, I think that Homecoming is about the real Dartmouth community. It represents the true coming-together of Dartmouth students, past and present, to celebrate the wonderful and unique opportunities here for one night. It's an opportunity for the class of 1940 to meet the class of 2007. It's an opportunity for all the sons and daughters of Dartmouth to realize that, though years, experiences and outlooks may divide us, we all share in the life and tradition of the College.

At least, that's what I hope Homecoming is about -- experiencing the same sense of timeless Dartmouth that we all felt at Moosilauke after our DOC Trips, eating our green eggs and ham and being either incredibly amused or puzzled by the great Dr. Schlitz.

During my DOC trip, we ran into a group of '88s who told us that they wished they were in our shoes -- just starting out their careers at Dartmouth. For me, at least, that was the moment when I knew that Dartmouth was going to become home. It isn't often that accomplished adults wish they were freshmen in college.

It is that sense of community -- of being a large, unruly and diverse family -- that sets Dartmouth apart. That's why we're here, and that's what we celebrate this weekend.

And after we finish our 107th (yeah right) lap around the bonfire, and everyone assembles on the Green to sing the Alma Mater while the fire blazes, each member of the Class of 2007 will receive Dartmouth's indelible stamp upon his or her soul. The fire will crackle and send sparks shooting into the cold Hanover night, and we will all feel the strength of a shared bond.

It won't matter where we're from or where we live on or off campus; whether we're an '07 or an '04 or a '44; what religion, if any, we profess; whether we're Republican or Democrat; and if the latter, which candidate we support. None of those neat fill-in-the-corresponding-oval categories we use to distinguish between each other will matter. For a little while at least, we'll be something bigger. We'll be Dartmouth.

At least, that's how I think it could be -- how I hope it is.

Ask me Monday morning.