Windows causes network lag

Supplanting fears that viruses would infect Dartmouth's network this term, a Windows XP laptop configuration causing an internet connection failure around campus has instead become the first major network problem of the year.

Bill Brawley , director of network services, believes that the difficulties some students are having connecting to the internet may be caused by the same "bridging" problem that occurred in October 2002 when the problem caused major internet disturbances throughout campus.

"If people are having congestion on the network or they aren't able to get connections, it's probably because they are seeing a bridging event in their buildings," Brawley said.

A bridging problem occurs when at least one Windows XP laptop is used for both wireless and wired network use, while the "network bridging" option is enabled. Under these conditions, one laptop has the capacity to bring down both the wired and wireless networks in an entire building.

The bridging option creates a feedback loop, linking the two connections, which causes the disturbance. Although harmful to the campus network, the option is potentially beneficial for home use.

Computing Services is currently assessing the extent of the problem in order to determine how to address it effectively.

In October 2002, the problem was addressed by Computing Services technicians spending much of their time checking dormitory rooms for the computers with the bridging option enabled. Brawley said that information was also distributed to campus residents through undergraduate advisors.

A distributed flyer told students to check their settings by accessing their control panels and right-clicking an active Ethernet connection. If the "bridging enabled" device was selected, students were instructed to de-select it. Computing Services still requests students leave this option off at all times while on campus.

While working on the current bridging problem, Computing Services is also continuing to enact preventative anti-virus measures, though they are seeing fewer viruses than anticipated this term.

The original fear stemmed from a slew of internet viruses that emerged during the summer months. Computing Services anticipated students and professors would connect recently-infected-computers to the network and inadvertently cause viruses to spread.

"It was a rough summer for viruses in general," Brawley said. "We have been pretty lucky."

Fewer machines than expected have been taken to Computing Services due to suspected viruses. Computer Services prepared for the excess viruses after colleges and universities beginning prior to Dartmouth experienced a surge.

"We took a lot of preventative measures, trying to get the message out to update anti-virus software," Brawley said.

Brawley attributes the lack of viruses on the network to the student and faculty cooperation in updating anti-virus software and not connecting potentially infected computers to the network.

Students concerned about their machines should still bring them to the Help Desk located on the first floor of Berry Library.

The Help Desk is also currently selling an updated anti-virus software package for six dollars. Each software package enters the buyer into a drawing for a free X-box.