Student services defined summer Assembly's term

Although only a handful of students were on this term to attend Student Assembly meetings, this summer's Assembly followed through on several projects it had conceived of quite some time ago, most of which will be implemented this Fall and will affect the entire student body.

The Assembly allocated approximately $20,000 this term for various events and projects to be put in place.

Providing services to the student body was a major theme running throughout the Assembly's agenda.

This Fall, the Collegiate Readership Program, led by Summer Vice President Steve Koutsavlis '05, will allow students daily access to the New York Times, the Boston Globe, and USA Today. The program will last the entire year and is based on the success and positive response from last Spring's six-week trial run.

"We accomplished all of our goals that we had set out. I think we took on a lot, and it was a very productive term," Koutsavlis said.

In addition, students will have access to DASH in the vending machines throughout campus and in the dorms, after a well-received trial run undertaken in Novak and the Alumni Gym.

David Hankins '05 spearheaded the DASH project, a concern of students and past Assemblies for the past five years.

The Assembly will allocate up to $6000 for the project, and Coca-Cola has agreed to fund the installation of the card readers.

Furthermore, the Assembly compiled results from the campus-wide blitz poll on the search for a new mascot.

Students will choose from the top five choices that received the most votes at the beginning of the Fall term to finalize the search.

These choices include: the Moose, which received 32 percent of the vote; the Yeti; a Dr. Seuss character; the Foresters; and the Salty Dog.

Other projects and events included the successful and provocative Sexual Awareness Campaign and the sponsorship of the LEAD program and the College Republicans.

But the Assembly did more than just large-scale projects.

"We sponsored a lot of little events that were really successful," Summer Assembly President Julia Hildreth '05 said.

One such event that turned out to be an surprising success was the Summer Block Party, the brainchild of Summer Assembly Treasurer Ralph Davies '05.

In other related news, Sabrina Singh '05 and Katy McCarthy '05 were elected '05 Class Council President and Vice President, respectively.

"I am looking forward to incorporating more people in the Council. It would be great to have new people involved," Singh said.

"One of the plans I have is to have more of a game plan, with specific goals, especially in terms of community service."

McCarthy was elected as write-in candidate, garnering nearly 30 votes on word-of-mouth alone. Perhaps part of her appeal was her tongue-in-cheek promise to change Dartmouth colors to "pink and hot pink."

"I'm really excited to have a leadership position within the class, especially after seeing what we can do after an amazing sophomore summer that brought everyone closer together," Mc-Carthy told The Dartmouth.

"I think if we approach the upcoming year with a positive attitude, we'll have a totally sweet time," she said.