Panhell bbq seeks to unite women students, professors

For a span of a few hours, Dartmouth sorority members, professors and administrators were bound by one message: female solidarity.

Last evening, the Panhellenic Council, Dartmouth's coalition of female Greek houses, hosted a barbecue to formally recognize the academic, cultural and social contributions of women at the College.

Representatives from all of the campus sororities as well as several female faculty and staff, totaling well over 80 people, attended the first-ever Strong Women of Dartmouth Barbecue at Alpha Xi Delta sorority.

"Within each sorority house there may be support networks between women, but as a whole community I felt there could be more communication," said organizer and Panhell programming chair Sabrina Singh '05. "I wanted to help facilitate that."

After attending a conference hosted by the National Greek Association last spring, Singh said she wanted to do something to bring together the different factions of women on campus.

Panhell Summer President Rosie Rodriguez '05 added that the barbecue offered an informal setting in which students could talk to professors without feeling intimidated.

It's "something you can't do in class or at office hours," Rodriguez said. "It's a way of showing them that we care."

Some students also used the barbecue as an opportunity to get to know professors whom they considered role models as well as a chance to discuss issues that extend beyond academics.

Professors and administrators at the event -- which was not only sponsored by women, but attended exclusively by women -- said they viewed it as a show of solidarity among campus females.

"It's fun to see these women together, not feeling like they are in men's spaces," said Sexual Assault Awareness Program coordinator Abby Tassel.

"By interacting with students you can learn best what they need in order to be good students, and good scholars," added English professor and Composition Center director Stephanie Boone.

All attendees interviewed by The Dartmouth, students and faculty alike, applauded the barbecue as in the opportunity for candid exchanges; enabling students and professors to meet each other in a casual setting.

"An event like this helps break down the boundaries and hierarchies between professors and students," said geography professor Pam Martin.