Let Dartmouth Be Dartmouth

After reading the articles, editorials and

blitzes this past summer concerning Dartmouth branding, I must say I am extremely disappointed. Disappointed that there was some notion that Dartmouth wasn't quite sufficient enough to stand on its own. Disappointed that instead of resolving real campus issues, in order to make our "image" better, some students felt compelled to start a "BlabberForce." I was disappointed that this debate had to turn into an argument about past issues that have nothing to do with this so called "branding" today. Not only is this BlabberForce idea unnecessary and ridiculous, but it will be harmful to Dartmouth if it continues.

Dartmouth has been, is, and will continue to be one of the premier undergraduate colleges in the country and the world. The institution has been around for generation upon generation and has produced some of the most loyal alumni any college could graduate for over two hundred and thirty years. It is a school rich in tradition and focused on achieving excellence in every field. Its graduates are civil servants, doctors, politicians, athletes, engineers, executives and much more. Many of these alumni are leaders in their respective fields, each gaining prominence based on their own achievements. That is what unites our alumni; they received a solid education and achieved greatness in their own right. In turn, they are able to provide the College with an endowment of over two billion dollars, one of the largest in the country. Year after year, the nation's best students apply for a spot to join us as fellow classmates. They apply knowing full well what Dartmouth's reputation is, and year after year, thousands and thousands still apply. I hardly think we're suffering an image problem.

However, there will always be those that will brag about their achievements, let the world know about their success and who are usually viewed with disdain from others on account of their bragging. They often lack confidence themselves and want a nice pat on the back of reassurance after everything they do. If the College were person, you would find that it is in fact the opposite of that ostentatious person we all love to hate.

Who knows the number of students who could have chosen to attend one of the schools in the triumvirate the Blabberforce adores (HYP). However, they chose Dartmouth. And with reason. They chose a school that is proud enough to stand on its own. A school that is focused on students above image (well, most of the time anyway). A school that is "made part of them 'till death." No one likes the "we're better than you" mentality of certain schools, which coincidentally the Blabberforce is trying to emulate, and in fact only reinforcing. Dartmouth, on the other hand, has been successful because it's simply been Dartmouth and nothing else.

Ask any sound-minded student or alumnus what he thinks about the Blabberforce and its purpose, and he will certainly ask "Why?" Sure, we don't have an office of overseas apparel like our good friends in Cambridge or New Haven. The last movie about Dartmouth may have very well been that black and white one about Winter Carnival, not one with Reese Witherspoon or Joshua Jackson. But do you really want that? Do we even need that? Or would you rather have Dartmouth be the school that has its student's speak for the institution without any need for self-promotion, by account of their own merits and achievements. That's definitely the school I chose above all others to attend. Blabberforcers need not worry; we shall celebrate Dartmouth every day as we carry on our lives in a dignified, proud manner finding success in everything we do. Remember, if you wanted to attend a school whose "name" goes further than your own potential, it's never too late to transfer, unless, of course, you've already been rejected.